SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I HATE NEEDLES!!!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I HATE NEEDLES!!!!! Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
In a popular movie "An Unfinished Life" Morgan Freeman gets morphine injection's daily for wounds inflicted by a bear. In one scene a young girl Griff is called upon by Morgan desperately needing an injection, to give him one in the buttocks. As she finishes up she asks "Was that ok?" in which he replies "Yes, it was so smooth I thought my Moma'd done it!"

That scene always reminds me of my experience with ole Bernard L. MD from my previous post above, but mine certainly wasn't as "smooth" Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago , I had a Cardiac Ablation procedure . While they were prepping me the Nurse was trying to start an IV . After her 3rd failed attempt , I told her to stop . I told her to find somebody else because she was done . She came back with an ER Nurse and she got it on the first try .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I loathe them as well. When drawing blood, if they take many vials, like more than 3, syncope kicks in. My body shuts down once too much blood is gone. 1-3 vials I'm fine, 4 light headed, 5 more light headed, 6 I pass out. I've woken up on several occasions not knowing who I am for a good minute or two. I hate fucking needles.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Since I'm now on Dupixent for eczema, I must take a self-administered shot every 2 weeks. The target areas are the abdomen 2 inches away from the navel, and the thighs. The needle is small, which is good, but also means the transfer time is longer.

I'm not averse to needles per se, and a stick every couple weeks beats severe dermatitis hands down.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16341 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Kevin, when I was in the hospital last time, they were so convinced that I was diabetic that they would prick my fingertips so often that they all stayed bruised for days after I was discharged. And my blood sugar levels were fine. They weren't concerned at all how many times they stuck me, they were going to prove their hunch was correct. Those tiny pricks to the fingertips actually hurt more than taking blood.

I feel for you bro, I know if I had to administer injections to myself I'd likely skip a few..or two Wink

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, finger sticks are always worse at the doctor. I have an adjustable lancet device, and buy particularly sharp lancets. I can adjust the depth, and the device makes it so quick it's nearly painless. If you have to have multiple finger sticks, get some sterile lanolin breast cream and apply twice a day. It keeps the skin soft and eliminates soreness, but there is a side effect. You may find yourself sucking on your fingers.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
You may find yourself sucking on your fingers.

Stolen for future use.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm not afraid of needles, which is a good thing because in my late tweens and early teens I was a human pincushion. I got allergy shots, one in each arm, twice a week, then tapering off gradually to once every three weeks. In 2012 I was sidelined with an Achilles tendon rupture. Probably because of an abundance of caution (from being forced to park my ass in a chair for several months) I was prescribed an injected anti-blood-clot drug, which I had to do myself. I balked a little at that, but got used to it.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This thread explains why a lot of them ask so many times how I'm feeling, making sure I sit down, etc. I've been poked a lot and just want to them to get to it.

Doesn't really bother me, but I still tell them to use the average needle and not the "I'm in a hurry so I gotta use the biggest one to fill 5 vials in 2 seconds" needle.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had the shingles vaccine and flu vaccine yesterday and they warned me I would feel like shit for a few days. Yeah, I feel like shit and both my arms hurt.

They also drew blood and they sent me the most incompetent, nervous tech they had. Besides the hematoma, she had to move the needle around to get the goddammed vein that was in plain sight, then she would press down so hard on the needle it would rake the other side of the vein and hurt like a motherfucker.

I politely told her the pain was unbearable and I know what real pain is, but she just kept scraping away.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I used to hate needles with a passion. I could look at a war movie with full on special effects, but would turn away when someone was getting an injection on screen.

And then, when I was a young adult, my dad asked me 'do you also hate getting splinters when working with wood?' and the honest answer was no.

It took me a while to process that, but in the end it was clear that in my case it was all mental, and had little if anything to do with the actual sensations I went through/was anticipating.

After that, I don't care. I actually get worse from my frisky Maine Coon when playing than I ever got from physicians/nurses, and I just stick a bandaid on and keep playing with the cat. Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Went in on Tuesday for a brain biopsy.to sample whatever has been growing on my brain. Prior to surgery in comes the vampire for a 3 vial draw.

I politely refused, my neuro doc looked me up on the computer from my last test a week earlier.I wonder if these are easy money makers for the hospital?

My samples at the Mayo for ID. Hoping for a hell of a Christmas gift this week; WHAT IS IT and how do we kill it?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I politely refused, my neuro doc looked me up on the computer from my last test a week earlier.I wonder if these are easy money makers for the hospital?

^^^^^^^
Doubtful,just typical oversight. Happens all the time. Good luck with your procedure.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I used to donate blood regularly and I still didn't like needles. I especially don't like seeing them go into me. I avert my eyes.

Yesterday was double platelets for me. Because of a high hemocrit (or is hemoglobin?) count, it takes longer to get the volume they need. Needle time was 97 minutes. Yikes.

Just passed 25 gallons. The finger prick is the worst part. And I can’t watch the nurse insert the needle.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted December 19, 2020 07:39 AM Hide Post
I had the shingles vaccine and flu vaccine yesterday and they warned me I would feel like shit for a few days. Yeah, I feel like shit and both my arms hurt.

Same here. They warned me about the arm pain. Apparently because it's into a muscle and not a vein.

Second shot wasn't as bad. Actually had a slight fever overnight.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Needles never bothered me but what scared the hell out of me was those pressurized air pump needles that uncle sam (us military) used in the later 1960"s and later when large group sof troops were given shots at one time. We were instructed to relax and do not move because if you flinched/jerked the burst of air/vaccine would slice a cut like a scapel that possibly needed stitches to close up the cut. ........................ drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Ya know....I married a nurse. Some are good at injections, others seem to enjoy giving pain. Guess which on my wife is. Frown Just my bad luck to catch diabetes. She even says I can give my shots myself. But she knows I won't do it.

Back when I was young, I even liked dating nurses. They have a well deserved reputation for being horny. That doesn't last, take my word.

No one hates needles more than I do, and its not an idle fear. Its earned. Oh and I detest finger sticks. Lances are a kind of needle.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm more than a little weird - I can handle blood draws, but intramuscular shots make me puke in fear. I think the discrepancy came with my first cancer diagnosis, when IVs and draws were routine and I adapted to them. But no way I can face a shot in the arm.

I have no idea of what I will do when it comes to the COVID vaccine. Unfortunately I'll probably pass on it, just because it involves two shots.

I did the date-a-nurse thing also, and learned that they practice on oranges, and each other, during nursing school. I also had to help inoculate cattle while working on a farm during high school. That involved big silver syringes, the kind with multiple finger loops, that I could hardly touch.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with you and hate them too. Saw a pic of my son getting the covid shot a bit ago (he grew up and moved to another state. I miss him but it's nice he's making more money than me and sends me neat shit occasionally) and almost went from anticipating and happily getting it to saying...welllllllll, maybe I'l wait. (thinking that if enough folks get one we'll all have herd immunity)

Like Drill sgt says, those air needles the us army used sucked.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:

I did the date-a-nurse thing also, and learned that they practice on oranges,

Did you know they also shot the oranges with Vodka?

Unhappy ammo seeker