SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Extended Car Warranties
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extended Car Warranties Login/Join 
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted
In the past week I have received no less than 7 letters in the mail indicating the impending emergency if I do not immediately reply to their request to extend my automobile warranty that is about to expire either due to time or mileage.
My gripe is, the car was purchased new 5 weeks ago and has less than 1000 miles on it.
Do these greedy slime bags think I am too stupid to realize I have one full year of warranty on everything and 3 years or 36000 miles on the power train?
If these lying assholes are so desperate to sell me a warranty NOW because my coverage is "ABOUT TO EXPIRE" how in the name of all that is holy would I trust these guys to pay up for something breaking several years from now (i.e lie to me now and not lie to me later)?
I expect to get the same barrage of letters when the warranty is actually about to expire as we just went through this with 2 other vehicles but this never happened before within the first several weeks of owning a new vehicle.
The worst of it is, all of these letters make the trash bag a little heavier.
/Rant off/

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
I expect to get the same barrage of letters when the warranty is actually about to expire

Actually, you'll continue to get them for the entire time you own the car. They don't actually know when your warranty is set to expire. That's just a scare tactic to pressure you into paying for their bullshit extended warranty.

I've owned my truck for 10 years. It's been out of warranty for about 7 years. And I still get these "Act now... your warranty is about to expire" junk mailings and telemarketing calls.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
What's funny is every one of these letters clearly states that the warranty on my "2017 vehicle" is about to expire due to "time" or mileage.

Horseshit advertising by lazy assholes fishing for a sucker.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Horseshit advertising by lazy assholes fishing for a sucker.

And it works. This is one of several homes that was built by a local guy in this line of work (prior to all of his assets being seized and him going to prison).

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still get them for my '95 Neon.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get them, phone calls, letters in the mail... I have never had a vehicle with an extended warranty, let alone one new enough to come with a factory warranty

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in one, go with the manufacturer's extended warranty and shop it, as I understand the price can vary from dealer to dealer .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Geico offered them, don't know if they do currently, it was 78.00 yearly for a 911.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
If you're interested in one, go with the manufacturer's extended warranty and shop it, as I understand the price can vary from dealer to dealer .

Shop online. What you are offered from the "finance guy" when you buy is grossly overpriced. For Toyota, check out Handy Toyota in NH. They sell genuine Toyota warranties at $50 over cost. I got the platinum, no deductible, full coverage, basically bumper to bumper, for 8 years 96k miles for about $1100. Registered in the Toyota system and all. At the time of purchase, the "finance guy" offered me a greatly reduced feature warranty for over $2k.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Shop online. What you are offered from the "finance guy" when you buy is grossly overpriced. For Toyota, check out Handy Toyota in NH. They sell genuine Toyota warranties at $50 over cost. I got the platinum, no deductible, full coverage, basically bumper to bumper, for 8 years 96k miles for about $1100. Registered in the Toyota system and all. At the time of purchase, the "finance guy" offered me a greatly reduced feature warranty for over $2k.

Wonder who has a good price on Subarus ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Wonder who has a good price on Subarus ?

For Subaru, I'd call Planet Subaru (Hanover, MA) or Heuberger Subaru (Colorado Springs). When I was shopping for an Outback, I would have flown to either one of them to buy for multiple reasons, including prices and reputation.

For FCA vehicles, Clay Robinson @ Zeller Motors (Arkansas City, KS) is the guy to contact for the best price on MOPAR warranties.

MOPAR warranties kick ass, BTW. I wouldn't have purchased my Cherokee Trailhawk if I couldn't have gotten the MaxCare Lifetime/Unlimited Mileage warranty, which is basically bumper-to-bumper. I'll likely never have a repair cost over the $100 deductible.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I get the phone calls, they get the reply depending on my mood (a) it was just repo'ed or (b) I crashed it, there's no insurance on it so it's sitting out back.

Usually get rid of them for awhile.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Honda Care extended 4 year warranty for the '06 Gold Wing about a month before the 3 year factory warranty expired.

$440, mail order from a Honda dealer in Iowa. Covered everything on the motorcycle, even light bulbs. Warranty was honored at each Honda dealer. No co-pay and no deductable.

IMO, was the only worthwhile extended warranty I found.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about a Kia extended warranty?

Posts: 55 | Location: FL | Registered: May 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but can you imaging if "Auto repair insurance" actually catches on? We'd be doomed. Picture the heath care system mess and it's cost, but the same thing with trying to get your car fixed. "Sorry, that mechanic is out of network. Your out of pocket costs will be $8k!" Eek

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I get the phone calls, they get the reply depending on my mood (a) it was just repo'ed or (b) I crashed it, there's no insurance on it so it's sitting out back.

Usually get rid of them for awhile.
Ask what they're wearing, do they have underwear on, and if so, what color? Amy loves that sort of conversation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Your out of pocket costs will be $8k!" Eek

That would only happen if, as part of a "2d great society" sort of deal, fed.gov first established an "Autocare/Autocaid" system for those too poor to maintain their own vehicles, taxed the hell out of those of us who can, and leveraged their size to force mechanics everywhere to essentially work at a loss, which would create an artificial market involving "cash price", "contract price", and "Autocare/Autocaid price", which would essentially set the baseline for "contract price".

Just keep fed.gov out of it and such a scheme would work just fine. That's basically what the extended warranty market does now.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I got pounded with extended warranty offers by mail for a year after buying my truck. Every single one marked "Act now! Last chance!" Roll Eyes

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ALL extended warranties at retail carry a huge profit margin. As much as 400% or more. The same as buying "insurance" when you mail something at USPS or ship at UPS. A total waste of money.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
If extended warranties were a good deal, they probably wouldn't offer them.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post