SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When traffic lights lose power you are required to stop
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When traffic lights lose power you are required to stop Login/Join 
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted
I was just driving home from work and in our area there is currently a very bad wind storm causing power outages everywhere, including all of the traffic lights. Out of about 10 of the lights I encountered that have no power only myself and a few other people stopped at all making these intersections extremely dangerous. How do people get a driver's license and not understand this simple, yet very important law? Mad

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Until 2018 this was not true in Michigan. Even LEO's were not sure what to do. It was dependent on the intersection and it's traffic volume who had the right of way, who had to stop ang who did not.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in most if not all drivers license manuals it states that a malfunctioning traffic light intersection is to be considered a 4 way stop intersection until light is repaired. I think it is even on the tests. People seem to go all panicky when the light dosen't work and forget. Hell! I learned this back in 1970 when I first got my license.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
People are only concerned about themselves. They are the only ones in a hurry to get anywhere. Traffic laws only apply to others, not them.
I about hit a guy riding against traffic on a bicycle the other day when he rode right in front of my van when I was turning right from a stop sign. He was breaking the law not riding with traffic, but van vs bicycle would not have been pretty.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of our lights have been out since Ocober 28th. It is pretty exciting. The locals know they are supposed to stop but the tourists just keep going. They claim they need special parts and that new traffic signals must be ordered. The cops gave up several weeks ago as far a directing traffic.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I missed the part where it said if the bathroom was close by and who had the most tacos...

or who was driving the bigger truck.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, 4-way stop from what I remember, but I've only taken the written test in 3 states IL, MI, and IN.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Here in Pennsylvania it’s like a stop sign intersection.
https://www.penndot.gov/PennDO...Article.aspx?post=51

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Around here, some folks don’t even stop at BLINKING red lights.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Here, they don't even slow down for Stop signs. It's like they're invisible.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traffic lights out= 4-way stop.

Power was out one time in Redmond and they were driving over the side walks to go around people.

The idea of "Bugging Out" in an emergency \ disaster is a recipe for disaster.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Visit Detroit, it's not safe to stop at many red lights. Makes it easier to get robbed or carjacked.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My town put in a signal in front of a retirement center. The light is a single yellow light and two side-by-side red lights above the yellow. (I have no idea why there are two red lights.) When someone presses the call button at the crosswalk, the yellow goes on for a few seconds and changes to the double red. After a bit, the red starts flashing, then turns off after several more seconds.

People will stop for the solid red but when it starts flashing, people lose their minds and start driving through it as if it wasn't even there.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We had a nearby forest fire caused by an exploding transformer. Which knocked out the power for a huge area. THEN they ordered an evacuation! There was really only one exit for us.

If people didn’t know the law they quickly learned it. Other drivers had the routine down and damned if you didn’t take you turn.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, the 'California Roll', as it's referred to around here. Someone once told me it was visiting Cali drivers and their exported habits at 4-way stops that popularized the term. Honestly I never really noticed this rolling "stop" habit whenever I was traveling down in the Bay Area or places southwards on down to San Diego, but it's generally not a thing around here, though I have seen a few times where some idiots don't slow down at all.

Instead what I notice most whether dead stop light or functioning 4-way stop is that too often the drivers in these parts FREEZE UP AS IF STRUCK BY SHEER TERROR and damn near refuse to cross into the intersection, and the person immediately behind one of these frozen folk become dumbstruck and just as indecisive as what to do next. Hey, it's called a HORN, dummy...USE IT.

I think it's because of the rain...and/or the dreary gray skies nine months out of the year. Brains that wind up turned to mush, vote Democrat, then given licenses to get behind the wheel of two ton machines than can maim and kill yet get you from Point A to Point B if only they understood the principle behind the accelerator pedal. That's Western WA for ya, in a nutshell.

quote:
People will stop for the solid red but when it starts flashing, people lose their minds and start driving through it as if it wasn't even there.

My wild-ass-guess: probably accumulated and learned behavior from habits picked up running railroad crossings before the gate comes down. I'm digressing but about three years ago a former coworker heading home after work witnessed the Darwinian results of such an act only a few blocks from our shop. Cut the impatient fool's car (and himself) right in half tangling with that locomotive. Messed up the coworker really good as well; she quit less than a month later because she couldn't drive across that crossing without reliving that event.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by braillediver:
Traffic lights out= 4-way stop.

Unless you are important.

( Talking on the phone, texting,
eating, playing with the radio, doing your make up, reading the map, etc. )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
How do people get a driver's license and not understand this simple, yet very important law? Mad

I've long thought that there are a handful of questions that should be on the driving test and you have to hit 100% on those questions. This one be one of those questions. What to do a 4 way stop would be another. (Ok, maybe let folks miss one case they misread one question.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a routine for stop sign violators who said “but, I slowed down”.

I’d say to them..... “if I started beating you with a piece of garden hose, would you want me to stop or slow down?”

Most everyone left with a better understanding of “stop”.

Then LAPD and Rodney King ruined that routine for me.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’m just happy they know what stops signs, red lights and green lights mean, and hav at least a vague understanding of yellow lights.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had power out for awhile and the T-intersection by my house had no power to the traffic signal and people just kept blowing through it.

The city put up temporary stop signs at all three sides and people ignored them too.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post