SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why does everything look like it's shrinking?!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does everything look like it's shrinking?! Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I'm 36. I've had 20/10 vision my whole life up til the last 3 or so years.

Chongo does not like this "enlarging of the font" phase of life he is entering.

Can't check a single damn report at work or read an email without either squinting, or "Ctrl+"ing the hell out of it.

Wore my MIL's reading glasses as a joke recently and they actually HELPED.

Not. Amused.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
it's called genetics and the realization you really aren't as big as you've convinced yourself as believing.

Oh, "font." My mistake. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why does everything look like it's shrinking?!

Because it's true! Twinkies, cans of tuna, cereal boxes, etc., are all shrinking!

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Everything shrinks as you get older.

Except, apparently, one's waistline.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So this is what I have to look forward to? Crap. Well at least I still have thick hair! Jo swears we're twins..

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why does everything look like it's shrinking?
You're posting from the urinal again, aren't you?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the party, Pal! You're about 4 years from full onset.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

So true!

When I was approaching 40, my eye Doc told me I was going to see some changes in my vision. Bullshit, I have had 20/20 my entire life.

Holy Crap!!!!! When I turned 40, I noticed I was holding things further away when reading them.

This cannot be possible. Well it was. Ever since, I use 1.25's when reading for extended period of times, or when trying to read a menu in a dark restaurant.

So, as I approached 50, I asked him if there was anything he could share with me.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
No kind words, just observing my own life,father time starts beating your body from the mid thirties to you pass.
At my age every thing hurts when I get up,I walk it off thru the pain and stay active.
I will not take pain pills but do a shot of Crown as a sleep aid. Cool

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I was roughly that age when my close-up vision began to deteriorate. Now I'm 61. For anything closer than about 12-15 inches I need reading glasses. My latest ones are a three-pack for $10 at Wal-Mart. One at work, one in the car and one in the house. I tried progressive lenses with the close-up in the bottom. These are OK for reading a book or something where you look down at it, but they were unsuitable for my work, which often requires me to look up at a close object, under a dashboard, for example.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

So true!

When I was approaching 40, my eye Doc told me I was going to see some changes in my vision. Bullshit, I have had 20/20 my entire life.

Holy Crap!!!!! When I turned 40, I noticed I was holding things further away when reading them.

This cannot be possible. Well it was. Ever since, I use 1.25's when reading for extended period of times, or when trying to read a menu in a dark restaurant.

So, as I approached 50, I asked him if there was anything he could share with me.

Was my 39th birthday present. Now as approach 40 it pisses me off to no end. At home glasses are no problem. At work, they wouldn't last a week. I have to use my phone as a magnifying glass to read stuff at work or restaurants.

At least I have good teeth and a decent amount of hair left, but two bad knees and tons of back pain. Still got 20/20 vision for the moment, assuming that's going away at some point.

I'm not even old yet, and getting old sucks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What's strange about presbyopia is that it all occurs at about the same age for citizens of a particular country, but that age varies with the country. In the US the magic age is pretty close to 40. Other countries have different ages, and everyone there starts needing reading glasses at that age. I'm not sure if scientists have figured out why.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have readers in every room, including the crapper. In my truck, too. My sunglasses have readers built into them too.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So this is what I have to look forward to? Crap. Well at least I still have thick hair! Jo swears we're twins.

I also had thick hair. When I was 40 the shower drain started collecting more hair than was growing. Bi-focals, hair loss, & pain from those youthfull injuries all start at the magic age of 40.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder about this. I'm 54 and my ability to read print started to decline about 4 years ago.

I've found that using a flashlight to properly illuminate fine print makes it readable. Could declining vision have something to do with low light instead of the ability to focus?

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:

I wonder about this. I'm 54 and my ability to read print started to decline about 4 years ago.

I've found that using a flashlight to properly illuminate fine print makes it readable. Could declining vision have something to do with low light instead of the ability to focus?
Cataracts? After I had mine dealt with, everything was brighter.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^
Presbyopia. Addition of bright light helps.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
PSA:

Like the rest of you, I have readers all over the house and in the car. However these two types are especially great:

1) Clics. I wear them around my neck at work so I always have reading glasses. The bridge is magnetic so you can easily put them on or hang them back around your neck.

https://www.clicmagneticglasse...ise-reading-glasses/

2) Thinoptics: I have these double-stick taped to the back of my phone. They are not comfortable for all day use, but, are fantastic for reading menus at restaurants, etc.

https://www.thinoptics.com/hea...lasses-universal-pod

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My son just turned 40 and asked my about this same issue. When I turned 40, I wore glasses as my vision was 20/400+. I was prescribed monovision vs bifocals. Worked great but screwed up my golf game. At 50 I switched to contacts, also with Monovision. No improvement in my golf game.

At 70, I had cataract surgery, again with monovision. I don’t play golf any longer but I can see. I’m a little better then 20/15 in my strong eye and about 20/30 in my reading eye. I can read a menu without reading glasses but to read for extended times I gave a bunch of +1.25 readers scattered about the house.

So I guess the time between 40 and cataracts is the worst.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My eyes didn't start to go until my late 50's. Now I must have 20 pairs of readers located around the house, garage and my truck. Frown

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post