SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Top loading washing machines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top loading washing machines Login/Join 
posted
We’ve had several of these and I’ve yet to find one that the wife can’t frequently cause to go out of balance during the spin cycle. That makes it stop and add more water in an attempt to get the items redistributed inside so it’s better balanced. If that fails after a couple of attempts, it’ll give up and signal for manual intervention. Needless to say, all that “add water fix” means the washer is nowhere near as water-efficient as advertised.

It would be great if someone made a robust machine that could spin unbalanced loads without the drum whacking the sides of the machine because of less than adequate horizontal support. The wife prefers top loaders, but I’m wondering if front loaders would be a better choice?

In case anyone’s wondering, marginally engineered products are what I’m bitching about!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen. If you can knock one of those out of balance, you need to have someone else wash your clothes.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Whirlpool Cabrio that's almost 5 cu ft. I've never had it go out of balance with anything. You just need to leave the space open in the middle of the drum.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen - you could load it with 75lbs of bricks and it would still remain in balance.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I have a Whirlpool Cabrio that's almost 5 cu ft. I've never had it go out of balance with anything. You just need to leave the space open in the middle of the drum.

does yours ball up the sheets and then cover that giant ball with one sheet over every thing ?

I have to redistribute our loads a lot, sheets, towels, sweat shirts

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:

does yours ball up the sheets and then cover that giant ball with one sheet over every thing ?

I have to redistribute our loads a lot, sheets, towels, sweat shirts

Once in a while with the sheets. Maybe once out of 6-8 times with sheets only. No other type of clothing does this.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Speed Queen - you could load it with 75lbs of bricks and it would still remain in balance.

Looked at them previously when we were replacing the last washer. Only problem was they don't seem to make any that are larger than about 3 cu. ft. and the wife tends to wash big items (comforters, blankets, etc.) that won't fit in smaller drums. I didn't see any bigger ones even in their commercial line.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

sheets only. No other type of clothing

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

sheets only. No other type of clothing

LOLOLOLOLOL. None of those in my house, so no worries there!

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The SQ will wash as large as a queen-sized comforter. If I have anything large than that, I just take it to the cleaners.

The smaller tub size is worth having the superior quality of the SQ.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to be able to convince SWMBO of that, but I suspect it won’t fly. Given our bedding is California King, she’d be making a lot of trips to the laundromat.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here, I think we've gotten it out of balance once & it was loaded pretty heavy.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My old HE machine, sucked ass and would ball crap up all the time, tear clothes, and overall not do a good job. Dumped it for a non-HE model that does a full tub of water and none of those issues. The only foul up is large comforters which sometimes get wrapped around the agitator (thank go this one actually has an agitator). Old HE was 5.3 cuft new is 3.5 cuft and does a better job washing stuff and can wash just as much because I could only fill old HE unit 1/2 full or it wouldn't wash anything.

Never again will I buy an HE washer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Switch to a front loading low water usage one and then you will really know frustration... these were designed to be used by people who at the most work in an office, never hardly ever even sweat and never get actual dirt on their cloths....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Switch to a front loading low water usage one and then you will really know frustration... these were designed to be used by people who at the most work in an office, never hardly ever even sweat and never get actual dirt on their cloths....

I work in engine rooms on yachts some days of the week and get oil, grease etc on my clothes. I had a set of front loading Whirlpool duet's 4.1 cu ft and they did an AMAZING job on cleaning my clothes. The washer went 9 years of hard use before my tenants broke the door latch and I didn't have time to deal with it so just bought a new one. I sadly left them at my 4 plex and bought 4.8 cu foot Whirlpool duet top loaders which do a good job on cleaning but nothing like those cabrio's did. I found the trick was to only use enough soap for a small load (measurement on the bottle) or the machine would dump it all out and refill the washer with just water. Try ALL stain lifter laundry soap.

posted Hide Post
Hate to admit this but I am over 70 and thanks to my mother and two wives, I don't recall ever using a washing machine.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've had front load for the past 20 years or so (Maytag Neptune and now SQ). I know people have this or that complaints about them but I haven't had any issues with them (other than the Neptune finally died). They clean well and I like the tumble cleaning action over the horizontal agitation of top load. I do use soap and bleach for each load; I'm a stickler for clean towels, sheets and clothes and am happy with the results.

My only complaint with the SQ is size - I can't fit king size (down) comforters / covers well. And it's the only load that will shake the machine. The SQ is exceptionally rock solid.

Again, YMMV and plenty of people avoid front load. I've been happy with them and haven't even considered a top load.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post