SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Careless and Disrespectful Display of the Flag**SECOND UPDATE**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Careless and Disrespectful Display of the Flag**SECOND UPDATE** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
they were embarrassed by my letter,

Butt hurt means you hit the nail on the head. He'll take the time to send a rebuttal but won't actually do anything about it. Small minded turd.

Send in you point / counter point before he does.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
They could have avoided the embarrassment by acknowledging your letter, sympathizing with your feelings, and telling you what their plan was.

They chose poorly.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just got a call from the Town Road Commissioner.

Apology for not getting back to me, excuse, excuse, excuse, it's all a volunteer effort, excuse, excuse, I'm only one guy and I'm recovering from a broken leg and climbing ladders is difficult, excuse, excuse, if you see a flag that needs attention, don't bitch about it, get a ladder and fix it.

I listened politely and said "I don't expect you to do it all, and I'm certainly not going to do it all myself, but if we can arrange a couple of volunteers and a list of locations, I'd be happy to load a ladder in my truck once a week or whatever and spend a morning maintaining the display."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, well, well. How about that?

I see in this week's issue of the local fishwrapper that the Veterans Committee got a nice little article complete with pictures since they put collection boxes for worn/damaged flags in the Town Office and Post Office. All of a sudden, they're VERY concerned with proper respect for the Flag.

Entirely coincidental, I'm sure.

Oh, and BTW, I've not heard a peep from the Town about volunteering to help care for the flags.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gist of his note was they they WERE TOO doing something about it and I was remiss in not going down to the Town Office and digging through Selectmen's Meeting minutes to find out what it was.

Obviously they were not doing enough. Good for you to take up where the Veterans Committee failed.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Glad you made some progress, Paul.

My gripe is displaying the Flag on vehicles. Guys with jacked-up pickups and a Flag or two mounted in the box getting ripped to shreds, and small flags mounted to the side mirrors of semis—faded and tattered. That’s not showing your love of country.

I saw some American Flag pillows for sale one time. I thought that was terrible too. The Flag shouldn’t be a back rest for your couch to watch television.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I admit I can be a PITA at times. I've been known to print out copies of 4 U.S.C. § 1, commonly known as the Flag Code. Although penalties for violation are rarely enforced, I hand out copies occasionally to those who flagrantly violate it, either through ignorance or carelessness.

When I had my single family home, I flew the flag proudly. And, because I had no nighttime illumination on it, I hung it out every morning and took it down every evening. Whether or not my neighbors saw or cared mattered not. It mattered to ME.

In the seven years I owned that house, I went through three flags. If it tore or faded, it got replaced. I took the old flags to the VFW for disposal.

4 U.S.C. § 1:

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post