SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm Officially Old
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Officially Old Login/Join 
posted
So, I wanted to buy a new motorcycle. Wife was, shall we say, very opposed. She presented paperwork I had forgotten from the followup from my stroke. Apparently, I can't ride a bike, parachute, or any other stressful activity requiring concentration for another year, if ever. I was further told to be quiet and grateful I could still drive. And was still alive.

Sometimes life sucks.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ask her if you are still eligible for blow jobs, and if she says no, get the bike.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Just kidding, obviously. Apparently I'm not eligible for either...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Just kidding, obviously. Apparently I'm not eligible for either...
I might be able to help you with the motorcycle, but that's as far as I'm willing to go, even though we're friends.

Just friends. No benefits!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My bikes for me don't provide stress, just the opposite, they decrease it. But I only ride mine out in the country on twisty roads away from traffic or on the track (road circuits). Maybe talk to your doctor again and tell him you are interested in them for stress relief.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure she'd say I was still eligible, and ask was I talking about giving' or gettin'?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Maybe talk to your doctor again and tell him you are interested in them for stress relief.

If that doesn’t pan out, simply try a different doctor.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Apparently, I can't ride a bike, parachute, or any other stressful activity requiring concentration for another year, if ever.

Do you know why that is?
Is it because such activity might cause another stroke, because there might be a hidden impairment that could show up later, or for some other reason?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several reasons. And I can change doctors. Changing wives is more expensive. Besides, I'm just a few weeks shy of the 40 year mark. I'll get coupons or something!

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, I can't ride a bike, parachute, or any other stressful activity requiring concentration for another year, if ever.

Climbing ladders is a big one for me, or looking straight up without falling. Mad

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I wanted to buy a new motorcycle. Wife was, shall we say, very opposed.

I get the same response here too albeit the reasoning was different. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Maybe talk to your doctor again and tell him you are interested in them for stress relief.
If that doesn’t pan out, simply try a different doctor.
Mike
Are we still talking about motorcycles, or has the topic switched to blow jobs?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several questions here. The first is whether riding a bike will aggravate your condition{past stroke}. The second is whether it is safe to do so. Riding involves balance issues, attention, concentration and visual acuity. Strokes can damage all of these. Neuro psychological testing could answer the capability question. It is lengthy and a good evaluation takes 8-10 hours.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes to several of those symptoms. They ain’t wrong, I’m just not happy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes to several of those symptoms. They ain’t wrong, I’m just not happy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ok I get it. Having physical limitations is rough.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife told me today, that I should either convert my Goldwing to a 3 wheeler or give it up altogether.
My back doctor told me years ago that if I suffered whiplash or fell off my motorcycle, it would likely kill me...well yeah!
Not sure if I am going to give it up, need to give it one more try.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Just means you have to get a BMW motorcycle.

BMW= Before My Wife

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth; I became an old man on April 10th after my main artery was clogged 100% for over two hours....

Can no longer do the work I've done for 36 years... but I can do the 'honey do' chores that keep piling up around home.... Biking is not a problem since I have not ridden one in over 30 years.. seems every time I did I would find a way to run into something.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We also enjoy bicycling. I had to get a tandem to kinda relearn to ride. I can finally ride a single, but have to ride with a partner for a while. I see the neurologist again tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
Gary called , He said Gopher it !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post