SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Homophones: Do you know which is correct when?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homophones: Do you know which is correct when? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
By, bye, and buy

Blew and blue

Add and ad

Way, weigh, and whay

Write, right, and rite

Whey, not whay.

I'll add wright to write, right and rite.

threw, through
pane, pain
plane, plain
which, witch
where, wear
here, hear
tier, tear
fare, fair
meet, meat
knight, night
feet, feat
peer, pier
pear, pair, pare

Almost homophones:
fairy, ferry
principal, principle
minor, miner
hurdle, hurtle

A la Captain Ron:
guerilla, gorilla

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
read/red

read/reed

piece/peace

wood/would

hare/hair

nose/knows

I'll nitpick with this one a little. Most of these are distinct from one another and not often misused. Nobody says, for example, to cut off one's knows to spite one's face. With the exception of the penultimate one. I see "hairbrained" a lot instead of the correct "harebrained."

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Pare a pair of pears.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Insure, ensure, assure.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Raise / raze

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
queue/cue

I say don and dawn the same, but that's probably just me.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, most SIGforum members are well educated enough to know when to use to, too, and two, and there, their, and they

How about “There are three **** in the language, to, too and two.” Which do you put in the ****?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
All from posts here on the board:

Sheer/shear
A lot/allot
Border/boarder
Dual/duel
Past/passed, and I’ve even seen “pasted” used in place of both (not a homophone, though)
Seen/scene

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
break/brake

Yep. Can’t believe all the people that have muzzle breaks on their (<see that? their, not they’re or there! Wink) firearms.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Lead (pb) and lead. Like LEAD the way.

Polish..a pollock like me. And polish, to wax your car.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A hardened/rough spot on the skin, usually on the feet, is a callus, not a callous.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
One that I just saw this morning in a post in The Lounge:
  • censor
  • sensor

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Lead (pb) and lead. Like LEAD the way.

Polish..a pollock like me. And polish, to wax your car.

To be homophones I believe you'd be talking about lead (Pb) and led, the past tense of lead.

Aisle/isle get me as well.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My pet peeve:
Lightening and lightning

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul.... And pawl!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
  • capital
  • capitol

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I get this one a lot in my business - shutter instead of the correct shudder. In an automobile, this condition is often seen in torque converters or power steering systems.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wife once showed me a real estate ad for a house that had “plantation shudders” throughout:

“This house is a Real Charmer - Inside and Out. Corner Lot. Brick Wall runs from Backyard to Front. Paver Patio System in Courtyard. Interior is a must see. Kitchen is impressive with Tile Floor, Island Cabinet with seating for two, Pass through into Dining / Living Area, All Counter tops are done with Granite, Bay Window. Plantation Shudders throughout house. Fireplace and Hearth was replaced with Shell Rock Masonery. All Upgrades are Tastefully done. Come see what this Home as to offer.”

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...95209/15274840_zpid/

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
whole / hole

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
A hardened/rough spot on the skin, usually on the feet, is a callus, not a callous.

What if it is insensitive?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post