SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Homophones: Do you know which is correct when?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homophones: Do you know which is correct when? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Okay, most SIGforum members are well educated enough to know when to use to, too, and two, and there, their, and they’re, but how about the following pairs of examples that are pronounced (sound) the same, but have different spellings and meanings?

bear/bare
site/sight/cite*
discreet/discrete
phase/faze
waist/waste
Or three: weather/whether/wether

What are your examples?

(I’m posting this here [not hear] because obvious word usage errors are becoming more common all the time. I saw the phase/faze error in an otherwise well-edited book I’m reading now about the Studies and Observation Group in Vietnam.)

* Thanks to GaryBF for the addition. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
Braise and braze.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
break/brake

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
read/red

read/reed

piece/peace

wood/would

hare/hair

nose/knows

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You rein in people or actions you wish to control or curtail, as in the reins used to control a horse. Not reign in. You toe a line, not tow it. And military weaponry is ordnance, not ordinance. (The last one, strictly speaking, is not a homophone, but is similar enough to include.)

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
soul/sole

and not a homophone but I get so sick of seeing this on FB sale pages.

I have something to sale
I want to sale
I got tired of writing "sell"

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Manner, manor. Which aren't even perfect homophones.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Know I do not No.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Ewe, yew, and you.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
breach, breech

sigfreund, you forgot "cite" in your post.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Affect / effect

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I assume they take quarters just like a regular phone.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
^ made me lol.

Sale/sail
Pear/pair/pare
Seem/seam

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
By, bye, and buy

Blew and blue

Add and ad

Way, weigh, and whay whey (thanks trapper)

Write, right, and rite

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Fair/Fare

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Pale and pail.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Frequently mis-used on this forum:
  • site
  • sight

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
As Redd Foxx used to say, you gotta wash it cuz the nose knows.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you have a muzzle break, that means you need to buy another one.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Affect / effect

I actually pronounce those two slightly differently.
On the other hand, I pronounce ordnance and ordinance the same, so I suppose one person’s homophone is another’s dialect. Wink

Thanks for the other examples. I believe that thus far braise/braze is the pair that I would have been least likely to think of myself.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post