SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $103.60 for 8 or $71.16 for 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$103.60 for 8 or $71.16 for 12 Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Being a maintenance freak 50k miles just rolled so I am doing:
Plugs, plug boots
Differential fluids
Transfer Case Fluid
Fuel Filter
Coolant Flush
Normally would do brake fluid but since my Master Cylinder and brake Booster just went that has fresh fluid Roll Eyes
Transmission fluid and filter

I am a huge Amsoil fan for all fluids but Oil (I have not jumped on the extended mileage train so it is a waste of money for me) so I bought gear oil from them for the differentials but looks like I’ll be sticking to Motorcraft fluids for the TC and Tranny.

Ford has a specific transfer case fluid and they do not suggest the new Mercon LV or SP as some of the addeitves will kaboom the transfer case. And plain old Mercon is no longer available.

They also do not suggest any multi platform ATFs because of some of the specific things in the LV is needed.
So no big deal Motorcraft Mercon LV it is. A drain and fill usually needs about 7.5 quarts.
No biggie a single quart runs 12.95 making 8 $103.60 or scroll down to see a case of 12 for $71.16.

Seriously? I understand buying in bulk and saving some but buying 4 extra quarts will cost $30 less.

Anyone know the shelf life of Mercon LV? Still be good in 5 years when I roll 100k?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Anyone know the shelf life of Mercon LV? Still be good in 5 years when I roll 100k?

Don’t know. But I know saving $30 on the bulk purchase is the way to go here. You’re focusing on the wrong part of the situation.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Don’t know. But I know saving $30 on the bulk purchase is the way to go here. You’re focusing on the wrong part of the situation.

THIS, even if you give it away. Yes, the transmission fluid in the sealed bottle will be fine in 5 years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
No doubt I’ll be buying the case.
The huge difference just baffles me.

————————————————

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Seller may just be overstocked in cases and needs to reduce his inventory.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
ATF can substitute as a cleaner/lube for tools and guns. Never huts to have some spare.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
ATF can substitute as a cleaner/lube for tools and guns. Never huts to have some spare.

yep,

make some Ed's Red

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Why not just drain half in a few years and refresh it? That's what I would do. Win/win, save $30 now and replace some lost additives at the midpoint.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Why not just drain half in a few years and refresh it? That's what I would do. Win/win, save $30 now and replace some lost additives at the midpoint.

No real way to drain just half as there is no drain plug one has to drop the pan to get the fluid out.

————————————————

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Sometimes marketing f/u's. See it all the time on Slickdeals. Someone catches one and posts it but by the time I see it the seller has usually corrected. Once in a while I score though.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was fed World War II c-rations in the late 70's in the Army. The cigarettes were stale but everything else was good and I am still kicking.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I worked in the OR at a local hospital. Some of our medical equipment required special light bulbs. One of the suppliers sold the bulbs for for $15.70 each but if you bought 30 bulbs it dropped to $9.90 each.

So I could buy 20 bulbs for $314 or 30 bulbs for $297. Guess which one I went with......

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post