SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I will never buy another Rosewill product again.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I will never buy another Rosewill product again. Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I've had it. Piss poor quality control.

I have a 13U Tripp Lite 4 post server rack. I've had it for half a decade. I've had a Rosewill "4U" case that held my first home server, a castoff Core 2 Quad gaming PC that I rehomed when I upgraded to Sandy Bridge when it was first released, almost as long.

I have acquired several items over the past few years - a DAS here, a server there, that I have been putting in the rack. Currently, the rack has the following:

- IBM X3650 M4 server (2U)
- Dell PowerVault MD1220 (2U)
- SuperMicro server (local hospital disposed of it and I got it for free by virtue of being in the right place at the right time) (4U)
- my gaming rig in the aforementioned Rosewill case (4U)

This adds up to 12U. I can't put my 1U managed 24 port Dell switch in the rack because the Rosewill case is actually about 1/8" larger than the advertised 4U. This presents quite the issue, because while the wire nest in the back is messy, it's mostly custom length cables with too little slack for this kind of bullshit.

I honestly don't know that I would have noticed (or cared) if I hadn't just upgraded my X3550 M3 to the X3650 above because the X3550 is too noisy.

I've also used one of their traditional PC cases on a budget build for a friend, and the scar on the back of my hand is still bright red.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I don't have a ton of experience with Rosewill products, but I did buy one of their power supplies years ago, against my better judgement and the advice of the bad reviews I read about the company. It shit the bed after several years and I spent what seems like months trying to diagnose exactly what was going on with my machine. They aren't exactly known for making quality stuff, or at least that's my impression of them.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't know that I would have noticed or cared had I I not been nearing capacity. It seemed like a decently built case.

I think what I'm going to end up doing is either migrate the SMC server to a 2U SMC case and replace the Rosewill case entirely, or replace the SuperMicro server entirely and either rearrange everything again and swap the personal build into the recently vacated case or just replace the SuperMicro server with something smaller and more powerful/energy efficient and just kick the can down the road a few months/years. Decisions, decisions...

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I thinkk they are known for being the lowest price point. therefore I avoid them like the plague.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
That's newegg's in-house chinesium PSU brand IIRC.

Toy-grade

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing anything that is a need to bash Rosewill here.
Better to measure twice and cut once (so to speak) on dimensions.
Especially if you are down to the last item you are trying to cram into the rack. Eek

Posts: 22859 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So we were mounting a Vertiv disk tray at work this week and we put the rails on wrong at first. The top of the rail stuck up above the tray preventing the U above it from being fully utilized. After we fixed the way the rail mounted to the chassis, it no longer protruded into the U above making it all usable again. So double check that and maybe you can get that 1/8 of an inch back.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
The rack wasn't always so filled. Used to just have some networking gear and a file server, so it's not something I thought to check until I was actually worried about space.

I've been tossing stuff in left and right lately, especially given some of the projects I have planned. What I should do is buy a larger one, but that's not happening until I move.

I just assumed it would fit, given its 4U spec, and it bit me in the ass. The case itself is too tat.

I've had the case for a while, and it's been shuffled around in there a fair number of times. I'll definitely check the rails to see if there's anything I can do, but it's doubtful.

I think I'm going to transplant the SuperMicro sever into a 2U, might just replace the whole thing. Haven't decided for sure yet, but once I do I can chuck the Rosewill and rework my PC into the recently vacated SMC case.