SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Rear-ended yesterday in the Mustang
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear-ended yesterday in the Mustang Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
Sonovabitch. Looks like vulrath's getting a new back bumper.

First off, everyone walked away.

Guy was nice enough and had no problem waiting on the cops, but had insurance that turned out to be canceled, and was driving on a suspended license (they gave him a ticket and impounded the car).

My back bumper is cracked at the bottom now, and as of this morning sagging at one end where it fits into the quarter panel because the clip is broken. Insurance guy quoted $1710 to replace, repaint, and restripe, barring any further damage. I know at minimum they're going to have to replace the styrofoam filler blocks, but who knows what else.

One thing I was very impressed with was how the end of my exhaust punched a near perfect circular hole in his front bumper cover. Muffler and exhaust tip are still firmly attached. Go Ford.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
I had what I thought was a minor accident in a Honda Accord about 5 years ago. (I was not at fault) I insisted on dealer repairs. The local dealer did a great job. Everything looked fantastic.

Fast forward a few years, and the two bumper covers were obviously a different color from the rest of the body. Seems that the sun and the ultraviolet rays associated with it, do funny things to paint. What looked like a great job, soon enough turned to a total mess on the vehicle. When I went to sell it, I really got dinged because Front and back covers for a completely different shade from the rest of the car.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
The lady from Nationwide tried her damnedest to convince me to use one of their "preferred" body shops when I made initial contact yesterday. After hearing the list, I decided that I wouldn't let either touch my car (previous experience, horrifically bad work) and went with the dealer suggestion, which has done both bumpers once already, and does some of the best work I've found. Until yesterday you'd have never guessed that I had the back bumper replaced 5 years ago. Hell, I've had people assume I have a garage to put it in because the paint's held up so well.

It's kinda funny on the timing...I was just about to look into making a whole bunch of aesthetic changes to my vehicle (none of which required a new bumper).

Anyway, the carnage (haven't decided if the pun is intended yet):

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
One thing I was very impressed with was how the end of my exhaust punched a near perfect circular hole in his front bumper cover. Muffler and exhaust tip are still firmly attached. Go Ford.

Many years ago, driving my daily driver '56 Chevy on Rockville Pike, all three lanes stopped at a light. I was about 5th back in the center lane. Light turns green, all three lanes start moving, me too. I was distracted for just a second (couldn't have been texting back then, but I forget exactly what), looked back and my lane had come to a complete stop (from 5mph). The bird ornament on the front of my '56 poked a hole right through the tailgate of the little pickup in front of me.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You should take the money and cash out, then buy a painted bumper online for $800.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
You should take the money and cash out, then buy a painted bumper online for $800.

Thought about doing that. Because I still have a year left on the loan, for brevity's sake the insurance company writes the checks directly to the body shop, something about having to have the lien holder as a beneficiary on the policy. At least that's my understanding of the issue, as was explained to me.

Besides, to be brutally honest, all I want is to have my shit fixed.

posted Hide Post
You may be able to give them a bumper for cheaper to save on your premium later. I did this for my truck and actually got something I liked better for cheaper than OEM. For a Mustang I imagine you'll want OEM though.

On a separate note I recommend everyone get uninsured motorist coverage. You have no idea how many people have low coverage or no insurance out there. If your ever unfortunate enough to be in a crash instantly get a plate and see what the driver looks like if you can. All the other stuff is secondary but that will help find the other guy if they take off.

Sorry for the PSA above, glad that didn't happen to you and I hope you get it all fixed with as little headache as possible.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
From the start, Dad insisted that I get uninsured motorist. I can be foolhardy and thickheaded sometimes, but from the moment he first suggested it I shut up and took his advice unquestioningly.

The number of uninsured motorists in Memphis is staggering.

And yes, I strive to keep everything OEM if possible. Even the hood replacement I'm considering will be a used takeoff.