SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stop smoking pot while driving your car! It stinks.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stop smoking pot while driving your car! It stinks. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s very common here, has been since I moved here over a decade ago, but it’s becoming even more commonplace. I have called the local dispatch with plate numbers of people who crept down the road leaving a cloud behind them. Whether anything happens is anyone’s guess.

Posts: 17056 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If driving while using or even under the influence of marijuana is illegal (as it is in Colorado), it would seem that odor strong enough to be smelled in other vehicles would be complete justification for a law enforcement stop and citation. Is that not illegal in Florida? If it is, does the state have anything like a REDDI (Report Every Drunk Driver Immediately) program?

I do not know and have never seen anything like REDDI in Florida. I know if you are on a road way that FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) covers you can dial *FHP on your cell phone to get directly in touch with the State Troopers. I would think that would be the fastest way to report a person that might be driving under the influence.

Man, I can see thats going to cut deeply into FHP time to try and cover all those kinds of calls coming in here from South Florida, they'll probably need a special weed-patrol crew just for the flood of calls. Much like the Public Service Aids that are hired by the county to assist local police and free them up for other types of calls.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Weed ruined Vegas for me. Walk down the street and all you can smell is that foul crap.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Legalized pot = permission to drive DUI.

And every goddammed pothead claim they drive "better" while stoned just like a fucking drunk does.

Except the drunk drives FAST and you drive SLOW on pot. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post

I know I'm suppose to turn up here someplace man..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get what the OP is saying but there are plenty of people who feel the same way about cigarette smoke.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But cigarette smoke doesn't impair driving ability.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't believe actively drinking alcohol while driving, or even open alcohol containers in the vehicle, are legal in any state. Actively smoking pot while driving surely can't be. Of course, one of pot's effects is a "loosening" of inhibitions and judgement. (Like alcohol.) If safe to do so, call it in when you see it.

Occasionally in my work I get cars that the owner has smoked pot in. I refuse to road test them. The last thing I need is getting lit up by a cop and having to explain it. ("I swear, officer, it's not my pot! It's not even my car!") I always carry a copy of the repair order with me.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I get what the OP is saying but there are plenty of people who feel the same way about cigarette smoke.

You are right. I used to smoke and never notices till I quit smoking 20 years ago.
The only thing I have noticed is that cigarette smoke does not linger and smell as bad as pot smoke does, at least to me.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time a got a whiff of skunk weed, I truly thought a skunk had sprayed something in the neighbors yard.

Took me a few times to realize it was the neighbors as we only smelled it when they were outside grilling and saw them using a bong. They don’t bother anybody so I don’t care, just despise the skunk smell. They are good neighbors as of this moment in time, just like to smoke skunk weed

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
I could care less if they want to and/or do legalize pot, but until there is a reliable / admissible in court test to confirm DUI / intoxication, I'm completely against it.

We need a Bake-alyzer, kinda like a Breathalyzer, but for 'stoners' that want to smoke dope in public....You know, so we can 'follow the science'! Wink

There is. It is called a DRE w/ a piss test for the presence of THC.

Unfortunately, the DRE is NOT infallible/foolproof and the piss test for the 'presence on THC' only verifies you were under the influence within the last 28 days! There are no testing standards that currently exist to determine the level of intoxication that are equivalent to BAC for drinking alcohol, and therefore no statutes that can define whether you're 'to stoned to drive' Right Now! I know it when I see it, just isn't good enough with a defense attorney in a Court of Law.

There is statute. And that is why you build a case for the DUI. I know in your world we are all Jack boot thugs harassing the people on “the weed”.... Cripes..

In our state, and I am sure others as well, If you fail the field sobriety tests or divided attention tests and are unable to operate a motor vehicle safely you can be charged and convicted of DUI. The hot piss test along w/ the divided attention tests, body cam, dash cam, etc... to show you were DUI beyond a reasonable doubt in court . It doesn’t say well, he pissed hot but, said he smoked 21.5 days ago so let him go.... DRE’s and state courts have been doing this since the early ‘80’s. Eddy Haskel was one of the first and greatest DRE’s. That show long they have been arresting and convicting DUI/drugs.

I have stopped people who had smoked weed. Did the field sobriety’s on them showed no impairment to the point of being unable to operate a motor vehicle safely and let them go. I have arrested and have had convicted people for DUI/alcohol under .08. How? Because they showed a level of impairment that makes them unable to operate a motor vehicle safely. The .08 is the “per se” part of the law.

Don’t make this harder than it actually is.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
I was driving back from a meeting on I25 maybe 10-15 years ago and it was bumper to bumper traffic near the Broncos stadium. Guys next to me were smoking pot out of a soda can and we were slowly creeping along. I kind of just lol'd at the time at their lack of concern for anything around them. Now that's just another day in Denver.

We were in Denver last summer and my wife commented to me that there were certainly a lot of pharmacies in town...I asked her what she was referring to and she said “Just look at all the green crosses on almost every street corner..” When I told her they were pot shops she didn’t believe me until I stopped and told her to go in one. She was in there literally less than 5 seconds!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the time I watched some doper fire up a blunt while pumping gas. I left immediately.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
None of the cause/effect really matters until we put some teeth in DUI sentencing. Until then, debating which is worse weed/alcohol is moot. Neither will result in deterring people from doing it.

The government spends obscene amounts of money on awareness ads (NITSA) and it hasn’t notiably done anything but made TV and radio stations richer.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
But cigarette smoke doesn't impair driving ability.

Until you drop a smokin'hot butt between your legs on the freeway....

BTW while smoking MJ with a medical card is now legal in FL, driving after smoking is illegal, pretty sure driving WHILE smoking would be illegal since at some point during the drive you are driving after you smoked.

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's not legal here and it's the middle of winter and you can still smell it.

Picked up a rental car (my daughter's car got hit) and it stank of weed. Made them swap it out.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Okay, so as I am heading home today after my weekly trip to the super market I get passed by a car and it pulls in front of me.
As she passed me I got that distinguishing smell of pot coming from her car. We come to s a stop at a traffic light. As we start to move I am able to get around her. As I pass she is hanging her head out the driver side window and in between her fingers is a rather large joint.
She is smoking hanging out her window and blowing the smoke down the side of her car. Why is there never a Sheriffs officer around to see this when people do this dumb shit.
I was thinking of calling the Sheriff but I lost her in traffic,I was not sure where she went. She may have turned off on to a side street.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
In my days as an Enterprise Car Rental wrangler, it was not unusual for me to have to take a car out of service because it reeked of pot so bad that other people refused to rent it. Scrubbing the interior was not effective. The odor was in the carpet, headliner and seats.

I've rejected a handful of rental cars that smell of pot. I made that mistake of discovering it later in the day. After sitting the sun for a hour, the pot smoke seems to come out of the pores of the upholstery. Reeks. Just last week at LAX I rejected the first car. The Enterprise dude seemed shocked until I pointed it out.

As for those that drive while toking, I have no sympathy for you losers. I ride 3000-4000 miles per year and I can't tell you how frequently I smell smoke, all hours of the day, coming from idiot drivers. Plus I think the stuff smells like ass.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I could care less if they want to and/or do legalize pot, but until there is a reliable / admissible in court test to confirm DUI / intoxication, I'm completely against it.

We need a Bake-alyzer, kinda like a Breathalyzer, but for 'stoners' that want to smoke dope in public....You know, so we can 'follow the science'! Wink

There is. It is called a DRE w/ a piss test for the presence of THC.

Unfortunately, the DRE is NOT infallible/foolproof and the piss test for the 'presence on THC' only verifies you were under the influence within the last 28 days! There are no testing standards that currently exist to determine the level of intoxication that are equivalent to BAC for drinking alcohol, and therefore no statutes that can define whether you're 'to stoned to drive' Right Now! I know it when I see it, just isn't good enough with a defense attorney in a Court of Law.

There is statute. And that is why you build a case for the DUI. I know in your world we are all Jack boot thugs harassing the people on “the weed”.... Cripes..

In our state, and I am sure others as well, If you fail the field sobriety tests or divided attention tests and are unable to operate a motor vehicle safely you can be charged and convicted of DUI. The hot piss test along w/ the divided attention tests, body cam, dash cam, etc... to show you were DUI beyond a reasonable doubt in court . It doesn’t say well, he pissed hot but, said he smoked 21.5 days ago so let him go.... DRE’s and state courts have been doing this since the early ‘80’s. Eddy Haskel was one of the first and greatest DRE’s. That show long they have been arresting and convicting DUI/drugs.

I have stopped people who had smoked weed. Did the field sobriety’s on them showed no impairment to the point of being unable to operate a motor vehicle safely and let them go. I have arrested and have had convicted people for DUI/alcohol under .08. How? Because they showed a level of impairment that makes them unable to operate a motor vehicle safely. The .08 is the “per se” part of the law.

Don’t make this harder than it actually is.

Dude, you DON'T know SHIT about my world! And where exactly did you make the jump from reading my post(s) to conclude that I'm anti-cop with the opinion that you're all 'Jack boot thugs' anyway? You could NOT possibly be FURTHER from the truth! Roll Eyes

Are you against developing a test prior to legalization? I don't see how that would make ANYTHING harder...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Sometimes while in a store shopping someone will walk past and I swear they got sprayed by a skunk. That crap really stinks.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post