SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    VORTEX, NO MORE!!!!! LOOKS LIKE WE GOT IT RESOLVED!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VORTEX, NO MORE!!!!! LOOKS LIKE WE GOT IT RESOLVED!! Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
Well, I don't like to complain ( Wink ALOT) but I've just had it. I have been a Vortex fan for a while, I must report I have a bad taste in my mouth. I purchased a 1x4x24 crossfire II scope for my Henry 45-70 a little over a year ago. Took my rifle and scope, (after a thorough sight-in) and a hog hunt shortly after. Rechecked zero at the range on the hunting property and noticed the crosshairs aren't aligned properly. Damn....... I had to borrow a rifle to hunt...... back to Vortex it went.

Vortex returned the scope with the crosshairs "fixed" with a notation that nothing was wrong with it.... OK.....

Back on a Hog hunt this past weekend and after a re-check/zero firing, the damn things went out of alignment AGAIN. Needless to say I wasn't happy but at least I had brought a shotty to back me up in case of Murphy. Back to Vortex you go and I'm done.....no more Vortex Frown Will keep everybody posted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sybo,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Well darn. I was looking at a couple of Vortex options. Overall they get decent reviews.

Do you think the .45-70 is too much recoil for the scope?

I am more put off by Vortex's response than anything else. I can see how a unit could be less then perfect but they should handle it in a way that keeps the customer happy. "There's nothing wrong with it" jeez.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Any chance the optic is rotating in your rings?

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Well darn. I was looking at a couple of Vortex options. Overall they get decent reviews.

Do you think the .45-70 is too much recoil for the scope?

I am more put off by Vortex's response than anything else. I can see how a unit could be less then perfect but they should handle it in a way that keeps the customer happy. "There's nothing wrong with it" jeez.

The Crossfire II is the cheapest optic that they sell.....

Regardless of brand, you get what you pay for.

I would like to see exactly what the included note said, just out of curiosity.

I smashed the Vortex branded throw lever off of my scope on a dump barrel. They shipped me a brand new one with a return envelope for the broken one.

My experiences have been only positive but my only 'cheap' vortex is the little SparcAR.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
Given that you cheaped out as much as possible on the scope, tell us about your rings and base.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is their cheapest offering but was advised by Vortex, this is rated for the recoil. The
rings are Vortex and we’re torqued to an 17 lb inch. They were also lapped. They did not rotate. What some say about “ cheaping out”, I say why not try out the least expensive “ available” offering applicable to that caliber with the “ VIP” warranty. Hell, I contacted the company before the purchase and was assured the scope would serve me well on the exact rifle. This 45-70 started out as an experiment to see if that caliber platform was for me and my Hog hunting. Hence, Vortex.

When offered this kind of warranty why not put it to the test, I can ALWAYS upgrade later when I find I’m going to keep the whole rig, which I am. I WILL be upgrading the scope. This is just anerving........

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me no more gun hunting for you Use a knife I think there's a guy here on the forum that makes them. Just Kidding. I'd return it again with a strong but polite letter that this is the second time. While the scope you have is the cheapest in their line that really shouldn't matter it still should be a useable scope and stay on target plus their guarantee is Lifetime. A 45/70 Gov has a little kick but it shouldn't knock the scope off, it's not a 22 cal scope. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
My thoughts also Chris, thanks LOL!!

When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
If your mounts are solid, next thing to look at is zeroing.

Your problem seems to manifest itself at different locations. Are you supporting the front of the rifle with a different means, ot at a different spot? Having a rest under the handguard versus a sandbag on the tube can change your poi.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like his reticle actually broke free.

If it broke twice, I can understand being irritated. But I don't see how you judge an entire product lineup by testing the cheapest offering.

That's true for almost any product.

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Don't use cheap optics for important purposes. That's true for any brand.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what kinda crazy plan is it to buy the cheapest bid for an important need? What if you were going to war, would you still want the cheapest bid then? Oh, wait. Nevermind.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Yeah, what kinda crazy plan is it to buy the cheapest bid for an important need? What if you were going to war, would you still want the cheapest bid then? Oh, wait. Nevermind.

That’s what we call military grade.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you get it worked out.
My son bought a Sig 229 in an expensive configuration. When we took it out to break it in, we would point at the target and hit the ground.
He sent it back and when he got it back, they said nothing was found wrong. It had a test target in it..
We took it out and shot it and it was dead on.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Replaced, refunded, repaired, don’t care, I’m going with a new scope. CALLING ALL 45-70 SHOOTERS! Suggestions? I don’t need much more than 1x4...

TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’v been using iron sights on mine. Thinking about a Leupold scout scope.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-1-4x2...flescope-109309.html

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’ve had great performance from my Leupold VX3i 1.5-5 on everything from my 375’s up to my 458 Lott. They run $399 before any sales or discounts.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Vortex cross fire 2 6-24x50oa, mounted on 10-22 22LR and 223 rem AR, was returned to Vortex 2 times and it needs to be returned a third time. The reticle spins in the tube. I have to pay for shipping 1 way. I am not happy. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cuda2045,

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I had to pay shipping also