SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Educational” television
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Educational” television Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
When did it stop being about science, facts, and actual education? You can’t switch through the science/history/nature channels without seeing something RETARDED like ghost hunting, Bigfoot chasing (complete with an obvious human yodeling off camera), or even a natural phenomenon being conjectured to be space aliens, military stealth surveillance etc?

Can’t we just make a “kookball” channel for the garbage? Ugh.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many universities have made their content free online to view. These consist of lectures by significant dynamic University professors at Stanford, Harvard, MIT and the like. Takes a little searching on the University websites.

NPR also has some excellent programming devoid of any political bias.

Here is a link, these courses are FREE:

http://www.edx.org/

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
When did it stop being about science, facts, and actual education?

I think you answered your own question. “Reality TV” has overtaken actual reality. “Fake drama” is more entertaining than boring educational stuff.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
When did it stop being about science, facts, and actual education?

I think you answered your own question. “Reality TV” has overtaken actual reality. “Fake drama” is more entertaining than boring educational stuff.

I guess that is a potential subset beef for me- are people so vapid and uninterested in marveling at the real world that they’d rather watch some jackasses walking around in old houses with obviously fake electronic detection devices saying “Did you hear that?” when another jackass thumps the wall from the next room?

I feel like not only has the Idiocracy begun, it’s running at full tilt and gathering speed.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will soon be a program aired that centers around two dudes who let themselves get bit by various poisonous insects in order to see which one has the most severe bite.
History Channel, IIRC. Roll Eyes
I may watch it just see how stupid it is and to see if anyone actually croaks. This is probably why others will watch it too.
I have no interest in why you live your life below zero or in some remote spot in Alaska.
At least you could buy a duck call from the Duck Dynasty dudes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I really don’t understand why you’re including Bigfoot in this category.

Confused

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, remember when Mtv would show music videos.

I one explained to my nephew that when they really do find Bigfoot, it would be on the regular news and there is no point in watching that show.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
All about the ratings. Someone somewhere must enjoy that crap or they wouldn't keep showing it.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post