SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    National Guard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Guard Login/Join 
Picture of skywag
posted
I think the National Guard should get veterans benefits!

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do

Posts: 1744 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
There are no exclusions of branches or component to receiving benefits. There are a few exclusions based on time in service, discharge type, and criminal history.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that many, but not all, folks who serve in the National Guard are considered "veterans" for purposes of benefits.

It seems that in order to qualify, you have to retire from the Guard with 20 years of service, or have served a minimum of 180 days in full time "active" status (like on a deployment) during your time with the Guard.

But if you get out before you hit 20, and were never activated for the required 180+ days, you won't get full veterans benefits.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
They do

LOL, hard to 100% end a thread with two words but that does it.

A little google search would have prevented this whole waste of space lol.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why did they make all those guys tote rifles if they weren't allowed to have ammunition?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Why did they make all those guys tote rifles if they weren't allowed to have ammunition?

wee bit of a thread drift lol. But my first thought was if a bunch of bad guys showed up with a bunch of loaded magazines it would go very badly!!!

As far as the veteran status. I know thats not the case. A current co-worker was having issues with a CO. He he got out and then realized that he didnt qaulify as he hadnt been deployed long enough. He screwed himself pretty good. Especially since his was a full time national gaurd job!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm ex Army myself and have some insight.

When 9/11 happened, they deployed the Guard to Airports and they brought their M16s. I have a friend who's a NG Captain and we had lunch one day and I told him I knew the magazines in his men's rifles weren't loaded because of my experiences while in the Army.

He said, in all seriousness, not to tell anybody.

Basically the military doesn't trust its members with live ammo unless they're on a firing range or in a war zone.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:

When my unit landed in Mogadishu, we drove in a convoy from the Airport to the other side of the city, with an empty mag inserted in our rifles. We didn't get ammo until we got to our final Base. Literally bussed through hostile territory in the middle of a civil war, in open top 5 Ton Trucks, with no ammo.

The Marine Gate Guards in Beirut, did not have ammunition in their rifles when the Truck bomb drove into the barracks where their friends and brothers were.

Mike Pence, just days before the inauguration had the Nasty Girls disarmed before he walked through to greet them. Don't believe me? Look at the pictures.

Long history of disarming the troops for political theater.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nasty Girls

?

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
celticwolf wrote:
quote:
The Marine Gate Guards in Beirut, did not have ammunition in their rifles when the Truck bomb drove into the barracks where their friends and brothers were.

I served in several embassy posts (not marine guard) and back then Marine Guard could not fire his weapon unless OK'd by the Ambassador. Wonder if orders have changed.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Nasty Girls

?

(N)ational (G)uard.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I spent twelve years on active duty in the Navy and ten years in the Army National Guard. I had to spend a minimum of ten years in the National Guard/Reserves to qualify for military retirement.

I retired in 1985, but didn't receive retired pay and military healthcare (Tricare) until I turned sixty in 2006. I also receive VA pay and medical for 60% disability due to Agent Orange exposure in Viet Nam.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I was on that gig for about 6 months.

We had loaded mags inserted in M-16 A2’s. No round in the chamber, Weapon on safe. (Condition Amber).

Lock plate installed (status que for SAD/NGRF: allows safe or semi only (no 3rnd burst).

I don’t recall exactly how many rnds or mags we had. I want to say 2x 15 or 25

I recon weapon and ammo details varied according to the state, location and OIC.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

I'm ex Army myself and have some insight.

When 9/11 happened, they deployed the Guard to Airports and they brought their M16s. I have a friend who's a NG Captain and we had lunch one day and I told him I knew the magazines in his men's rifles weren't loaded because of my experiences while in the Army.

He said, in all seriousness, not to tell anybody.

Basically the military doesn't trust its members with live ammo unless they're on a firing range or in a war zone.

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't vouch for what training our troops receive these days, but when I was in the army (a looooong time ago) we were trained on how to use our rifles to fight without ammunition. Amazing what a rifle butt to the head will do to quiet folks down.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by REdwin89:
celticwolf wrote:
quote:

I served in several embassy posts (not marine guard) and back then Marine Guard could not fire his weapon unless OK'd by the Ambassador. Wonder if orders have changed.

The Marine Corps changed after Beirut. General A.M. Grey signed the order right after he became Commandant that ALL Marines standing guard will have a weapon with live ammo.

I've been in at out of a few Embassies as well, 1991-1995. Unless things have changed, Marines ROE were in defense of life. If the Embassy came under attack, the ROE was dictated by Ambassador, DCM, then RSO.

So basically if there's a angry mob outside the gates, tossing rocks and bottles, Devil Dogs aren't busting caps. The angry mob storms the gates, there's some tear gas getting chucked around. The angry mob starts throwing grenades, bullets, Molotov cocktails at the Embassy, things escalate, and the Ambassador dictates things. Angry mob breaches the "Hard Line"... Bodies are hitting the floor. There's no way we're going through another Tehran for 444 days. (But under the current administration, who knows. Roll Eyes )

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's all about the ILLUSION of security. Not actual security itself.

They want the big, mean Rottweiler, German Shepherd, Pit Bull that snarls and barks at everything, but no teeth. Because hurting people is bad.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly!

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Remember the Kent State incident with the students/protesters vs National Guard troops who had live ammo that was fired into the crowd. ............................................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a full combat load of ammo while operating inside the U.S. on 2 different occasions in 2 different capacities (1 time active duty, the other National Guard.)

The first was on the S. border in support of Border Patrol and the 2nd time was during Katrina.

So, yes soldiers can have live ammo while doing domestic missions, it all depends on who is in charge.

I have also been guarding sensitive installations in the ME against terrorists with a single mag of ammo in a ziplock baggie in my vest. Make sense of that! (It was at least pre 9/11...but the base also got blowed up a year after I left...)

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post