SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Arthritis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arthritis Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
Getting old SUCKS, I mean it sucks balls. I have made a living using my hands my entire life, and now I am dealing with a whole heap of crap. Arthritis has crept in and is for real. I think cutting out Milk products helps. Anyone else have some tips, this really sucks fellas.... I will be 64 this year Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A steady diet of 3 Aleve's a day. 1 when I get up, another after breakfast, & a 3rd about 6pm. I usually buy the Costco or Walmart version.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Trigger finger is a form of arthritis, and I am plagued with that in both hands, middle finger in both. I wear splints while sleeping, would much rather that than multiple injections and surgeries. I also worked with my hands, but only for 25 years. Now 74, and getting up in the morning sucks.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The wife and I tried grape seed extract pills and they seemed to help. We weren't sure if they were helping so we stopped for a week and felt awful.

When we started the ketogenic diet the arthritis in my feet went away. We eventually stopped the grape seed pills as they seemed redundant at that point. Quitting didn't affect us this time.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Doesn't just happen to the old guys. I'm not nearly "old" (late 30s), but have to deal with arthritis in my knees, thanks to too many years of being a big guy in a physically active profession who also played sports and worked out a lot.

Cold weather makes my knees ache, as do incoming storms. So the current historically cold and abnormally large/powerful winter storm we're experiencing means my knees have been killing me lately, especially when laying in bed at night.

I've found that Voltaren, a topical NSAID that you rub directly onto the joints that hurt, works better and faster than simply swallowing pills. It used to be prescription, but now it's available over the counter starting last year.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Doesn't happen to all old people either, thank God.

Neither Mrs. Flash nor I have Arthritis.

I do feel sorry for those who do however.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try Voltaren, thanks. I can't take NSAIDS orally. Right now I'm wearing wrist and ankle elastic braces.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Avoiding red meat seems to help me

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I’m 55 and it’s really hit me hard this last year. Right thumb, middle finger and wrist and left wrist. I’m on a prescription Meloxicam but it doesn’t seem to do much.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Please refrain from putting profanity in your thread titles... and that includes stuff like "f&$k" or m0%$#*&^@r".

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too suffer from arthritis. Had trigger fingers on both hands, index an middle fingers. Surgery cured that. I’ve found nothing that works on the arthritis. My wrists, knuckles, neck, shoulders, back and toes. At one point I was taking 2,400 mg of ibuprofen a day, didn’t work. Then 800 mg naproxen, nope. Tramadol, nope. Just holding my iPad and typing my hands are screaming. Arthritis and shingles, the two things I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started taking the bone health magnesium-calcium-zinc tablets to prevent leg cramps, and found my finger and hand pains improved significantly. The pain returns when I forget to take some daily, and improves when I resume.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Someone here on the forum suggested tart cherry extract, and it helps a lot.

NSAIDs help too, but can do bad things to your stomach lining long term.

Voltaren helps, but you have to use it regularly.

I found (by accident) that sulfa drugs eliminated the pain for me, but the docs won’t let me take it long term.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I have Psoriatic Arthritis (PA) and take methotrexate weekly and Humira every other week. I also supplement with naproxen and aspirin to take the edge off the pain.

Some days the pain can be debilitating if my medicine schedule gets disrupted. I have to keep an emergency pack of prednisone for flares.

Chronic inflammatory conditions really suck. Add Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, a degenerative neuropathy and you get nerve pain to round out the fun.

Best of luck to everyone who suffers from chronic pain.

Mike (Molecular Biologist and Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Subject line

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another sufferer. Radial Head both wrists and first two joints both thumbs. Also have Trigger Finger in the Left Middle Finger. Signing my paycheck has become rather painful. There was also a PET Scan that indicated "early Arthritic changes in both hips", the Doctors seem to have nothing but bad news for us old farts. Also have Heart Disease and due to that the only daily painkiller allowed is one single 325mg Aspirin tablet. When it's really bad I can take one Alieve tablet but that is permitted for one one single dose. I can already see the handwriting on the wall, I'll be needing some joint replacements in the coming years. BTW did some checking and joints in the hands and wrists can be replaced.

Something that really peeves me is that Stem Cell Therapy has proven to be 70% effective in treating Arthritis but the FDA will only approve it for use in the knees (and maybe hips). Because it's not approved for use on the hands and wrists there is zero insurance coverage for that treatment. As a result if you want to try Stem Cell Therapy on the hands it's about 15K per joint.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. I have Arthritis in my bottom four vertebrae.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have it pretty bad from breaking my back and a multitude of other bones. For me Kratom has been a godsend. You might have to experiment with a few different types but it is cheap and super effective for me.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Check your local laws first. Kratom is illegal in a number of states.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neck, knees, hands and of course back.
I take D,C,B,E Multivitamin and Blue EMU for my paws.
I'm started wrenching @ 12 and am 66 and still at it.
I also do stretching and squeeze a stress ball and that helps the digits.
You've got to be tough to get old !

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post