SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    iCloud backup, Restore, and How I Loathe Apple
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iCloud backup, Restore, and How I Loathe Apple Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
Messing around on my iphone the other day and inadvertently erased an entire message thread between my youngest daughter and myself. No worries, I have iCloud, right? I'll just restore from last backup, and all the world will be right.

Wrong.

I end up somehow deleting everything off the phone to restore, and then restoring essentially all emails, pics, and messages (so yeah, I got that part), but deleting every song from my accumulated-over-many-years playlist. Then, I realize that the last iTunes backup I had that has 'most' of the songs on it is from 2018, so now I'm thinking I'm gonna lose all my new data when I download the songs (and Lord knows what else) from that old backup.

iTunes is confusing as it is, much less when I'm doing full bore stupid.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Add one more thread to the long list of “user error”.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I bet that the Apple support people can help you get everything restored.

Last I knew, the stores were closed because virus, don't know whether they have reopened yet, but you can look at the support page on their website and connect to them via phone or chat.

You're going to be messing with your phone, so if you want to talk to them, do it with a different phone. Or if you use chat, do it from a device (computer, iPad, etc.) other than the phone that you're trying to fix.

Question: why does this user error make you "Loathe Apple?" I have screwed up on other systems, much worse that I ever have on Apple devices. Should I tell you about the time I wiped out an entire database on a UNIX system, during an all-nighter, trying to get a new update ready to go live for start of business the following morning? With no Apple "genius" to help me get everything restored.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
You can do a full iPhone backup to iTunes; it is different than the iCloud backup in that Messages will be included.

I have one from a friend's phone. 6 weeks of Messages (some images have disappeared), her saved voicemail, final Recent Call Log, exact snapshot of her phone except for some images within the message thread going blank.
On your laptop in the hidden Library there is a Messages archive folder. Save it for now and at some point you may be able to restore it. The Archive data will come up in searches, and you can open and read individual dated items.

Finder --> Go + option brings up hidden Library folder. In that is Messages / Archive.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The process is what makes me loathe Apple, not operator error. My past experiences with trying to back up using iTunes, trying to add my own music to iTunes, etc. have lead me to dislike dealing with them. I shall try calling my hipster brethren, and see if they can make it happen.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
It is important to be polite and respectful when dealing with Apple. Have had nothing but outstanding dealings with theApple People.

Posts: 630 | Location:  | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
You can do a full iPhone backup to iTunes; it is different than the iCloud backup in that Messages will be included.

??? An iCloud backup includes messages.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
iCloud backups 'can' include Messages, but they only include the data that you select. A couple of the iDevices in our household, which were recently 'Restored' do not have Messages selected as part of the iCloud backup, and that it NOT something I unselected. As such, I believe the Messages app is NOT part of the iCloud backup by default!

That said, using iTunes to do a 'Full Backup' (the only option, at least the version that runs on Windows) DOES backup Messages, along with everything else on the device.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've gotten my wife's hand me down i-phones for years, the last an 8+ when she upgraded to the 11....previously 6+, all used wi-fi only.

i backed up the 6+, erased all content settings on the 8+, connected usb to pc/itunes & backed up from saved 6+ i-cloud.

messages, email accounts, apps, etc transferred to 8+.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post