SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Self Check-out in Grocery Store...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self Check-out in Grocery Store... Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Stupidity has invaded my local Kroger. It's a simple concept. If you have a BASKETFUL of groceries...I mean a stacked up, MOUNDING pile in the basket, do not...repeat...DO NOT use the @#$%ing self check-out scanners. Go to the "normal" check-out lane with a cashier and utilize their friendly scanning and bagging services. There were at least three IDIOTS violating this simple concept yesterday around 1330 hours.

Jeezus...it shouldn't take a PhD in Rocket Surgery to figure out the self check-out lane is for "quick" egress.

That is all.....

/[rant]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Every time someone in a store prompts/encourages/prods me to go to their self-checkout scanners, I ask one simple question-

Do I get a discount for checking myself out?

If the answer is "NO". They can stick their "self-checkout" campaign. All these self-checkouts are doing is taking away what few jobs are available for folks.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Our local Costco had them. I told various employees that a training class should be offered to the idiots that can’t figure this complex task out. Shortly thereafter these 3 lans were removed. Thank goodness.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stupidity has invaded my local Kroger. It's a simple concept. If you have a BASKETFUL of groceries...I mean a stacked up, MOUNDING pile in the basket, do not...repeat...DO NOT use the @#$%ing self check-out scanners. Go to the "normal" check-out lane with a cashier and utilize their friendly scanning and bagging services. There were at least three IDIOTS violating this simple concept yesterday around 1330 hours.

Jeezus...it shouldn't take a PhD in Rocket Surgery to figure out the self check-out lane is for "quick" egress.

We are dealing with the bottom half of the curve here. The same people in the bank drive through who never have a pen or have totalled their deposit, drive below the speed limit in the fast lane, and cannot find their drivers license or identification.

Common sense is not that common. I have found the best approach to do something productive during the time that I wait. These situations and people are inevitable.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart has got to be the worst. You have a choice: a standard check out line with an employee that moves like molasses in January, or the self check out with people that have full carts that move just marginally faster than the Wal-Mart employees. Couple that with the "Unexpected item in bagging area" announcements from the machine, makes for a miserable experience at any Wal-Mart.

On the other side, whenever I go to the local Navy Commissary, the two Filipino ladies working the checkout (one scanning, one bagging), can scan and bag faster than I can load groceries on the conveyor belt. By the time I'm finished unloading my cart, my groceries are scanned and bagged.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I die, I will undoubtedly be bound for Hell.
It will be in the form of a Grocery Store.
The other hell bound shoppers will ding the shit out of my car doors and runaway carts will destroy any remaining paint.
The can recycler wont take my cans. And I am stuck to the floor!
In every aisle, is a fat chick. On a scooter. Parked in front of the item I want.
Elderly men have just recognized each other after many years apart and are celebrating a reunion. In front of the item I want.
The Deli just closed.
This mornings muffins are long gone.
There is only one checkout. The cart in front of me is under the control of a skinny, tatted up white chick who is yelling "fuck you" to someone on her cell phone. Her baby is screaming and her toddler is putting unwanted items into my cart.
In front of her is an elderly lady arguing that her coupons are in fact not expired. And then she wants to write a check.
Zitty bag boy piles many heavy cans on my bread when bagging up my goods.
Condensation from ice cream container wets paper bag, spilling my stuff into the parking lot.
After arriving home, I find I forgot to buy ass wipe and I have to go back!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The other hell bound shoppers will ding the shit out of my car doors and runaway carts will destroy any remaining paint.
In every aisle, is a fat chick. On a scooter. Parked in front of the item I want.
Elderly men have just recognized each other after many years apart and are celebrating a reunion. In front of the item I want.
The Deli just closed.
There is only one checkout. The cart in front of me is under the control of a skinny, tatted up white chick who is yelling "fuck you" to someone on her cell phone. Her baby is screaming and her toddler is putting unwanted items into my cart.
In front of her is an elderly lady arguing that her coupons are in fact not expired. And then she wants to write a check.
Condensation from ice cream container wets paper bag, spilling my stuff into the parking lot.

Epic Rant

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
OK...YooperSigs wins the grocery store rant!

LMAO!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am guilty. At Krogers the reason is at least one item rings up overpriced every time, cashiers can not handle it & the whole line is held up.
At Walmart I am guilty, I usually have 3 ring ups & cashiers can not handle it.

At Publix I use the checkout lane.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Wal-Mart has got to be the worst. You have a choice: a standard check out line with an employee that moves like molasses in January, or the self check out with people that have full carts that move just marginally faster than the Wal-Mart employees.

The Wal-Mart I go to has taken self-checkout to the extreme. Self-checkout at each end of the check-out lines right by the doors. Many self lanes available by the doors. If you come to the lines from either end of the store, as I do, you have go to the middle someplace to find a real cashier. Many move slowly, but there are one or two veterans who are pleasant and quick. I keep my eye out for them.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for fun, when going through self check-out, I will change the language to Spanish and crank the volume...
Hey, it's the little things that make me laugh. And... if you've never done that... GO DO IT. Hahaha
A great break from the grind.

String

Posts: 107 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m forced to use the self checkouts at Walmart since the alternative is to be stuck in line for 20 minutes with the 3 surly, slow human cashiers open, even at prime time hours. Both Walmarts in my area have like 20 lanes but rarely ever have more than 3 open. There’s been times when I’ve said “f*ck this shit” and just left whatever I had, and walked out since they don’t want to adequately staff these stores.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Deli just closed.

Well done.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15252 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My self check out rant comes from Home Depot. Not so much the number of items people bring through, because a bunch of small hardware can be scanned pretty quickly. It's the young couple with their 3 swarming kids that tie up two scanners at the same time with their lumber cart full of 2x4s. Of course, they have no plan for getting that one 2x6 out from under the pile without unloading right in the lane.

Planning would go a long way for some.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MNSIG,

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Home Depot that tries to force you to use the self-checkout by closing down all but one of the cashier lanes.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m forced to use the self checkouts at Walmart since the alternative is to be stuck in line for 20 minutes with the 3 surly, slow human cashiers open, even at prime time hours. Both Walmarts in my area have like 20 lanes but rarely ever have more than 3 open. There’s been times when I’ve said “f*ck this shit” and just left whatever I had, and walked out since they don’t want to adequately staff these stores.

Yeah. Four hundred Walmart stores had to close, and ten cashiers lost their jobs.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
It's Home Depot that tries to force you to use the self-checkout by closing down all but one of the cashier lanes.

When I worked at HD from 2000-2004 and these first started popping up, one of the first things they told us was it wouldn't cut out any jobs...

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can check out 50 bucks worth of groceries thru the self-checkout faster than I can get thru a cashier line. Produce and unlabelled crap goes first, make sure the glass is clean, scan-drop, and it's done. My only problem is when the machine jacks up and I have to wait for problem boy to come fix it. Usually it's cause the glass was dirty, but those wet wipes they have up front do a good quick job of fixing it.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I can check out 50 bucks worth of groceries thru the self-checkout faster than I can get thru a cashier line. <snip>

Well yeah...how long does it take to scan a steak and a 6 pack? Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post