SIGforum
Recent CCleaner changes suck in my view. Yours?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3810023764

March 08, 2020, 09:48 AM
bald1
Recent CCleaner changes suck in my view. Yours?
First they went and started labeling stuff as trackers which clearly aren't. Now with the latest update they have a "health check" routine which appears to be aimed primarily at promoting their paid version. The previous "easy clean" was a change from the past and fairly okay although it had the mislabeled tracker crap too. Granted the "custom clean" is still there although I haven't been happy with the results using some of the user options which appear to have changed in their scope and effectiveness.

What had been a great piece of software now rates in my book as a big fat C. Frown Frown

Any one else?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
March 08, 2020, 11:07 AM
bald1
Hell let me go a step further. Ever since Avast acquired Piriform (maker of CCleaner) it has turned into a crap sandwich. Smile

I continue to use Comodo Internet Security Premium, Malwarebytes, and Malwarebyte's AdwCleaner. Windows10 Defender is passively active as well. CCleaner? Nope not anymore.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
March 08, 2020, 11:37 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Ever since Avast acquired Piriform (maker of CCleaner)

Well that explains a lot for me. Avast sucks.

Used to be a BIG proponent of CCleaner, not so much any more. Especially since the last update wanted me to install Chrome (which I just shitcanned...)

OTOH, my new browser, BRAVE cleans up after itself pretty well and CCleaner hasn't been finding much anyway.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
March 08, 2020, 11:49 AM
bryan11
For Windows 7, I gave up on CCleaner a while ago and still use Sophos for antivirus.
March 08, 2020, 01:02 PM
erj_pilot

re: Avast. When I "re-engineered" my office computer to Windows 10, I had had just about enough of Avast on the Windows 7 platform...seemed to get embedded with too much crap and bloat-/ad-ware/nonsense notifications to (like y'all said) coerce you into buying their "full" version. I didn't even bother and, like bald1, am pleasantly satisfied with Windows Defender. Primary browsers are Firefox and Opera.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
March 08, 2020, 02:25 PM
marksman41
I didn't know until now that Avast bought Piriform - that explains a lot of the "wth?" I've been experiencing.

Is there a good alternative to CCleaner for cleaning up stuff?

March 08, 2020, 03:09 PM
mark123
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
... Primary browsers are Firefox and Opera.
I used to vehemently suggest Opera until it was sold to a Chinese group. I've moved to Vivaldi or Brave.

Unfortunately, Opera is still the only 100% W3 standards compliant browser.
March 08, 2020, 03:29 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I didn't know until now that Avast bought Piriform - that explains a lot of the "wth?" I've been experiencing.

Is there a good alternative to CCleaner for cleaning up stuff?

Might want to read this:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-...for-windows-anymore/

USN (RET), COTEP #192
March 08, 2020, 03:49 PM
RHINOWSO
I don't miss this crap at all. Wink
March 08, 2020, 09:46 PM
DetonicsMk6
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
... Primary browsers are Firefox and Opera.
I used to vehemently suggest Opera until it was sold to a Chinese group. I've moved to Vivaldi or Brave.

Unfortunately, Opera is still the only 100% W3 standards compliant browser.

Wow. Did not know. Next you'll tell me the Chinese bought Volvo or sumpthin....
March 10, 2020, 07:40 AM
Chowser
Not ccleaner related but the new win10 thing where it erases your download folder got me. I was storing stuff in there.

No longer.

Not minority enough!
March 10, 2020, 08:16 AM
joel9507
I've been using the free version of CCleaner since before it was renamed from "Crap Cleaner" - recommended at the time by Nicky (0-0)

No issues with it, but I've configured all the little buttons the way I want them.