SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CC hit again!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CC hit again! Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
This is the second time by a fraud charge from somebody using a money service called Skrill. Both times it has happened recently it has been within a day of making a donation to animal rescues that use PayPal as the processor. Guess I’m going back to checks for my donations.

Now I use this card for just about every purchase but twice after the same event, a donation processsd by PayPal has to be an issue and not a coincidence. Never had an issue using it over seas, Hawaii, or anywhere else. I understand the numbers can float and the random numbers and stuff the crooks use doesn’t always catch a valid number quickly so it could have been from somewhere months ago. But it’s odd.

I hate thieves!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I've used Paypal several times for donations to Akita Rescue. Never had any issues. Last time my card got hit, the bank told me skimmers in gas station pumps have been causing a lot of them.

not long after, this came out in the media.

https://www.banknh.com/securit...r/card-skimmer-alert

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I got hit every time I donated through gofundme.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Guess I’m going back to checks for my donations.
Checks are vulnerable too.

Scammers copied one of my business checks and issued a couple of "paychecks" for a bit over $1,700.00 each.

Fortunately a SunTrust teller was on the ball and the attempted theft wound up with one of the miscreants in jail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Guess I’m going back to checks for my donations.
Checks are vulnerable too.

Scammers copied one of my business checks and issued a couple of "paychecks" for a bit over $1,700.00 each.

Fortunately a SunTrust teller was on the ball and the attempted theft wound up with one of the miscreants in jail.

I had a customer who mailed his power company bill, someone snatched from his mail box and removed the pay to, put his real name in its place and added three thousand to the amount of check. Cashed it on camera using his real drivers license.

Customer searches facebook and finds him posting pictures with his 'dirty money's as he called it. He had to see 35 of his $100 bills fanned out, on the public web.

He passed the information on to Fairfax County PD and is hoping they actually go and talk to the criminal. Have not talked to him since, I hope they actually looked for and arrested him

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'd much rather have a credit card get stolen/hacked/guessed at every day than my checking account information even once. The less I have to share my bank account information with anybody the better. I'd rather never write another check.

One is a virtual non-event. The other a royal PITA to unwind, coupled with being out of cash for some period of time.

The PayPal stuff is coincident I suspect. Nobody has hacked PP, or if they have we'll all hear about it soon!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
You’re all correct about the check of course. That’s why I quit using the debit card.

Coincidence it probably is, but sure seems fishy. I didn’t mean to imply PayPal is to blame, just a common factor part of the coincidence. It was almost a year ago that I got hit as well. Lots of little things seem to have lined up, it’s just weird.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our CC had 3 charges on it that we did not do.
Wife checked with the CC company and then another company. Took 2.5 hours.
Come to find out, it was a banks faults of the person who made the charges, he used a debit card but somehow it got billed to us??? What the heck?
It was over $300

Hope you get it all straight and it does not happen again. That stinks.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post