SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not surprising, but still disappointing: Cabela's store closed down
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not surprising, but still disappointing: Cabela's store closed down Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
In Bristol, VA. It was in business less than five years. I suppose they didn't need it since there is a Bass Pro a few miles away in Bristol, TN, but that is an awful lot of retail space and parking going to waste. I had some cash and used it to make a payment on the Cabela's card. When I first got it circa 2002, Cabela's even owned the bank (World's Foremost) that issued it. Capital One bought it ~2-3 years ago.

On the positive side, the Bass Pro actually had two AR PMags, and at $17.95, not a bargain, but not excessive or gouging, either. I got one with the help of my points. Probably should have gotten both, but I don't like to be greedy.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will be the trend for a few more years as Bass Pro continues to evaluate and consolidate the Cabella's brand and overlap in geographies.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
POX on BPS....they are not so slowly ruining my favorite outdoor store.

Anymore I would rather go to Academy

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The academy sale is wrapping up, so check it if you haven’t. I picked up Hornady die sets in 6.5, 308, 270, 45-70, and 7mm mag for $15 each!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pmags were 17.95 each? That seems excessive, but with the way things are I guess I’m not surprised.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
thats a fair price if they had windows. if they where gen 2 not so much

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
This will be the trend for a few more years as Bass Pro continues to evaluate and consolidate the Cabella's brand and overlap in geographies.

I believe "destroy" was the word you were searching for.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original Galyan's was close to my house (torn down and replaced by an Aldi store now) and various locations around Indy. It was great. Then Dick's sporting goods moved into town, bought out Galyan's and closed them down.

Before closing them, they ruined them by getting rid of good product lines and replacing them with cheaper junk. Now Dick's seems to be more of a clothing store that sells some sporting goods.

Cabela's was impressive 15 years ago when I visited one during a driving trip to DC - it may have been in West Virginia - and then one in SE Michigan. One opened up in Indy NE side (Noblesville actually) but I've only been there a couple times. I have not been to a Bass Pro or Academy.

Other then that we had a few Gander Mountains which are all closed now. Their pricing was just too high for the market.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a Galyans around for a few years. It was one of my favorite outdoor stores. The BP buyout of Cabelas has been discussed ad nauseam but it still pisses me off. Why is it that every time a company buys another they ruin what they bought?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
thats a fair price if they had windows. if they where gen 2 not so much
There is in fact a clear window in the sides, something my other PMags purchased 2018-19 don't have. Maybe I should have bought the other one.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
We had a Galyans around for a few years. It was one of my favorite outdoor stores. The BP buyout of Cabelas has been discussed ad nauseam but it still pisses me off. Why is it that every time a company buys another they ruin what they bought?

Bass Pro just stepped on the accelerator with driving Cabela's down the road to ruin. Cabela's had started down that path when they went public.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very accurate summary!!!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

I believe "destroy" was the word you were searching for.

You are not kidding!

Since Bass Pro took over Cabela's quality has really gone down hill!

There wasted no time in getting rid of quality clothing that would last you for years and went right to the cheapest bid for the junk they didn't get rid of...

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Yep, Cabelas had been run into the ground. After going public on the stock market, it was only a matter if time. BP has destroyed what was left. Not even worth shopping at anymore. Sad, sad, sad.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post