SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $7500 to remodel a bathroom, and it's a $6 part that is giving me fits
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$7500 to remodel a bathroom, and it's a $6 part that is giving me fits Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I just spent $7500 in parts and labor to completely redo a 39 sq foot bathroom. New tub and shower and fixtures, new toilet, pedestal sink, mirror, shower curtain rod, paint, vinyl plank flooring, etc. All done. Woke up this morning with a small ring of water around the base of my sink pedestal. The slip ring at the top of the trap is leaking. A $6 part. Naturally, it's inside the pedestal so it's hard to get to. Figures. It's never easy.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
It's never easy.
Nope, it never is.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I just spent $7500 in parts and labor to completely redo a 39 sq foot bathroom. .....

I know it's what stuff costs now but it just seems crazy expensive. Oh well get that leak fixed!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had a cracked toilet tank turn into a $6k bathroom remodel AND near total re-plumb of my house.
It sucks.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Murphys law of Remodeling:
Any attempted remodel will cost more, take more time, be more complex and require more specialized tools than originally planned.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
What’s the most uttered line from nearly any home improvement show?
“Well, first thing we’re gonna have to do is cut a bigger hole.”

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One day, I went down to my shop in the basement to.. well, I don’t remember. Doesn’t matter, as I got down there I noticed that one and a half sheets of pegboard on the wall were soaked through. Leak from powder room upstairs.

Dammit.

Pulled down the pegboard, insulation and stuff, cleared a little space.... and can’t find the leak from below. But it seems to be coming from the top plate.

Go upstairs with heavy sighs. Step into the powder room to find it...bone dry. I search around the pedestal sink, it seems good. I start to do the feel around, everything is dry. The inlet feeds from the wall.

Well, shit. First we cut a bigger hole.

About a 10x10 hole. Reach inside to the pipe leading down, and it’s dry. Next we cut a bigger hole further down the wall. Then a big flashlight.

Found it.

This house was built in 1997. Powder room was basic Sheetrock, wood base mold with quarter round over a wood floor. Apparently, when installing trim, some jack wagon put a finishing nail through the trim and Sheetrock and into the pvc. And it took around 6 years to rust enough to start to leak. I know it wasn’t leaking before, as I put up that pegboard and such and knew the wall was dry before.

And I really hate finishing Sheetrock. So, once the pipe was patched up, I sealed up the hole and proceeded to put in bead board wainscoting. Smile And painted the whole room.

Thus my “A seemingly simple fix becomes a project story” thanks to a negligent discharge of a nail gun.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 39 square foot bathroom? Pretty compact for all that stuff...

Posts: 31 | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Guy in a really cheap motel room picks up the room desk phone and dials the front desk.

He says "Hey I gotta leak in the sink".

Front desk guy replies "Ah go ahead, you paid for the room anyway".

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnfritz:
A 39 square foot bathroom? Pretty compact for all that stuff...

That doesn't include the tub area. That's just the floor area including where the sink and toilet sit.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The builder or whoever installed the bathroom that was in it when I bought the house seems to have been a hack.
The original sink was too far to the right so they simply bent the water supply lines to the right, presumably so they wouldn't have to buy longer supply hoses. One of them developed a leak and caused some wood rot that had to be repaired.

Then the previous owner decided to put armstrong adhesive tiles over the existing linoleum floor. The original linoleum was actually pretty nice. Those additional armstrong tiles began walking over time and the floor looked like crap.

Everything in it was builders grade.

Before:

After:

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nice job, good combo, is that VLP flooring...

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yes. There is a foam underlayment under it, and the planks have microban rubber coating on the bottom.