SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Midnight pounding on the front door.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midnight pounding on the front door. Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you can't mess around with that crap. Not that long ago, the gas company overpressurized the supply lines in my home town, resulting in over 80 fires, at least one house fully destroyed and one person killed.

And just last week they had another incident. Sure glad I'm not one of their stockholders.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I don’t understand why this is even in “What’s your Deal?” If you are ranting about midnight knocks from the gas company, are you implying that you’d prefer if the technician hadn’t knocked at midnight, but instead waited until morning?

My immediate thoughts as well.
An inconvenience, yes, but not as much as what might have happened.

As for other means of contacting the customer, I would not have answered an unknown number call at 0005 hours, and probably would not have received a postcard for a few days. If the gas company people believed there was a hazardous condition right here, right now, what else should they have done besides knock on the door, and loudly enough to wake someone who would probably be sleeping by that time?

Here's the point -----------------------------> .

Here's all y'all -----------------------------> Smile Smile

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
You could have just gone w/ ASG's "chack-chack" approach.

Would have made for a more interesting evening, I think.

-Rob

It was a chilly night - not a good night to be sans pants.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Perhaps more explanation is in order. Natural gas can be heavier than air. What can happen, and does, is that outside natural gas leaks result in the gas finding its way into nearby basements or crawl spaces and building up until it encounters a source of ignition, then KA-BOOM!

Natural gas is lighter than air and will float/raise.
LP is heavier than air and will sink/fall.

Problem is the leak will normally follow the gas lines and end up in a crawlspace or basement. Where it is trapped, until it gets ignited.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldnt it be prudent to have the Fire Dept. on scene until the leak is located and locked down?
That would have solved the identity issue too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Here's the point

All right: I missed the point. Can you explain it?

Section title: “What’s Your Deal!”
Section subtitle: “Hacked off? Pitch your bitch!”
Topic title: “Midnight pounding on the front door.”

Those three elements seemed to clearly indicate that you were hacked off by and were bitching about … the Midnight pounding; no? If not, then what?
An inquiring mind would like to know.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

All right: I missed the point. Can you explain it?

I'll gives ya a lil' hinty: I'm fucking exhausted because I got absolutely no sleep last night and that blows. And there was a gas leak at my house, and that blows.

Think you can take it from there?

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldnt it be prudent to have the Fire Dept. on scene until the leak is located and locked down?
That would have solved the identity issue too.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. My brother the firefighter agrees here. They do this sort of stuff all the time. Most departments have Hazmat guys that would be happy to respond. This should be brought to the attention of managment at the gas company.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I would have done the same.

Around here a gas leak is a big deal. Fire and police are dispatched first, with even just a concerned citizen calling in to report the smell of gas. If it’s detected evacuations are started, and who knows how long until the gas company actually shows up...

Your guy did it backwards lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I'm betting that the police were more then happy that you were sensible and called them to check out the situation.

They understand the potential alternative endings better then most of us.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t have liked the midnight wake up, either.

At the least, as a previous poster mentioned, yup, courtesy call is in order at any time, but most importantly at night.
Agreed that Mngmt should be addressed- why there wasn’t a police or FD presence doesn’t make much sense with the situation and the time frame. It’s serious stuff. Glad your family is safe.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you could not smell gas in your basement then there was not leak.... actually when you opened the door to the basement you should have been able to smell it if not before that. The mercantile they put in natural gas is some more powerful stuff, true natural gas has no odor by the way.

Since the leak was outside your house, why not just turn the gas off down the line and work on it during the day... sounds like the night shift decided they needed to prove their worth to me.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post