SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Women and Checkbooks - an Unholy Combination
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women and Checkbooks - an Unholy Combination Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

God, give me patience, because if You give me strength, someone will die.

Stolen Big Grin

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’ve still got my quicken records going back to 2006. And hand written ledger before that.

I’m a little OCD when it comes to my money.

Preach it, Brother! My checkbook balances TO THE PENNY every month. Old habits die hard.

Additionally, I keep a spreadsheet of all my expenditures (outside of the occasional small cash outlay). It really helped me see where I was pissing money away and rein in my spending habits.

I have a column for each of my recurring expenses and tuck a fixed monthly amount in each "bucket" so when car insurance or property taxes or whatever come due, the money is sitting there waiting.

Great for my peace of mind.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Additionally, I keep a spreadsheet of all my expenditures (outside of the occasional small cash outlay). It really helped me see where I was pissing money away and rein in my spending habits.

I have a column for each of my recurring expenses and tuck a fixed monthly amount in each "bucket" so when car insurance or property taxes or whatever come due, the money is sitting there waiting.

In addition to my Register spreadsheet, like you, I also keep another sheet tracking all personal expenses. I also keep a sheet for house expenses. It sometimes amazes me just how much goes into keeping a house, and we don't even have a mortgage payment. It all adds up quickly. I keep a template sheet for each one, and morph the template into a new year's sheet, so I can refer back to prior year sheets as well. Each is tab within the sheet.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

In addition to my Register spreadsheet, like you, I also keep another sheet tracking all personal expenses. I also keep a sheet for house expenses. It sometimes amazes me just how much goes into keeping a house, and we don't even have a mortgage payment. It all adds up quickly. I keep a template sheet for each one, and morph the template into a new year's sheet, so I can refer back to prior year sheets as well. Each is tab within the sheet.

I do a fresh sheet each month and start a new set on 1/1 every year. The last year's worth are archived for reference.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shudder to think of her having access to a credit card.

Fortunately, so does she.

Not because she'd go on a spending spree, she's tighter than bark on a tree. Because she's horrible at keeping track of receipts.

Credit cards might not be as horrendous as you think.

For our credit cards, after I set it up, I have my financial software (Quicken) go get each credit card transaction from the issuer's data: date, amount, and a "merchant ID" entry that generally is informative but admittedly sometimes is cryptic. Armed with date and amount, though, even on the cryptic ones I have been able to figure out what it was for/from.

That actually has come in handy at tax time, when I need to sleuth around for deductible expenses.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't care what you do with your checkbook on your own time, but for Christ's sake, don't balance it in the checkout line with me behind you seething. You're on my time now.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife pays our bills with checks.

She is very good at it, but she was an accountant for a very long time before she retired.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Ever sign up for automatic payment of a bill with, say, a utility company? All they need is the bank routing number and checking account number. Both of those are on every check you write. Secure? I think not.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post