SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Women and Checkbooks - an Unholy Combination
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women and Checkbooks - an Unholy Combination Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
One line - one transaction. For extra clarity, skip a line between transactions. Couldn't be easier.

Nope. Wrote a check, made a deposit and got some interest. All on one line. Notes in the margins. Things scratched out. Erased. Blotted. Entered twice, or not at all.

Then wonder why they can't reconcile the statement.

God, give me patience, because if You give me strength, someone will die.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15220 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Checks?

What is this thing you speak of???

Kidding aside, I still have checks but haven't kept a checkbook in maybe oh, I don't know - 15 or 20 years...?

But I can sympathize with wimmin folks and financials. Only way I could make it work was separate accounts. She does her thing, I do my thing.

Keeps the madness away.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I shudder to think of her having access to a credit card.

Fortunately, so does she.

Not because she'd go on a spending spree, she's tighter than bark on a tree. Because she's horrible at keeping track of receipts.

Posts: 15220 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was standing in line at the Supermarket behind a woman who was digging in her large purse for her checkbook and a working pen, after she had set down her cellphone, after all her food items had been scanned and bagged and the total she owed was flashed.

A manager quickly opened up another check out line and we dashed on over there.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I remember the days ! I loved a neat, balanced check book.
Funny how now I just make sure the balance is correct, anticipating soon to come bills. All else just falls where it may.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I write 1 check a month. Screw balancing it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I write maybe 3 or 4 checks a month, if that.

But I use my check register to keep track of debit card purchases (many, many) and electronic fund transfers for loans, phone, and credit cards.

posted Hide Post
Shortly after I started working as a clerk in a large bank, a woman and her friend came in complaining that her checks were bouncing. The CS guy spent well over an hour helping her balance it, then they all took a break before Round Two.

As they left, the CS guy said he doubted they'd come back, and he was right.

Their excuse for bouncing checks? It's been the punchline in jokes for many years, but this time it was really true: How could they be overdrawn since they still had checks left?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
My wife is in charge of the check book and does a great job. She did work in a bank and was the treasurer of her sorority before becoming a lawyer.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Check book? Where does she find parking for her horse and carriage?

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Check book? Where does she find parking for her horse and carriage?

Probably in the carriage house, next to Sir's cheque register. Big Grin

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I had no idea there were people who still weren’t using Quicken and linking directly to bank download.

Weird.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Never in my life have I balanced a checkbook. I record checks. That's it. Nothing more. Date, check number, payee, amount. Been doing it that way for 35 years. Not a single consequence from it.

No Quicken, no online banking (HELL no), none of that.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Back before online banking, I balanced my checkbook religiously. My wife's method was simply to record each check rounded up to the next $5. She never balanced it, and always had a surplus.

Now with online banking, I keep a check register in a spreadsheet, and check it occasionally against the online balance. Yes, I do still have to write some checks. The exterminator, for example. I tried paying him for a year ahead (he has no electronic banking), but then he would not keep to the promised schedule, always wanting to rearrange it. Now I just pay him with a check for each monthly visit, and we have a regular third Tuesday appointment that is honored. I also have to write checks for property taxes and a few other miscellaneous recipients. I pay with online banking for almost everything.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ve still got my quicken records going back to 2006. And hand written ledger before that.

I’m a little OCD when it comes to my money.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Because she's horrible at keeping track of receipts.

You're supposed to track receipts?

Is that why they keep asking me if I want mine?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I’ve got my bank’s app on my phone and keep track of my money to the dollar. I only write one check a month. Don’t think I’ve written in the register in 5 years.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I carry a single check in my wallet, just in case. It's only been used a couple of times.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I do write one a month for rent. Everything else is paid with debit/credit card or online. Even my bank and credit account statements are online. I can't remember ever balancing or reconciling a checkbook.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who writes checks any more?
I do.
  • The lawn guy
  • Truck shows up with some supplies. C.O.D.
  • Some home repairs, appliance repairs, roofing company
  • Somebody comes in to my small (mom & pop) business to do a few hours work. Not an employee on payroll.
  • OK, payroll too, for my part-timers
  • Monthly rent for the leased hangar
  • A couple of the small maintenance shops at the airport -- radio repair, airframe & engine maintenance, etc.
  • The guy who comes around in his van with special equipment to do the required check of the altitude reporting system
  • The service that comes around to inspect and certify the fire suppression system in the hangar
Those are just off the top of my head. If I looked at the check register I could probably double the size of that list.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post