SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    mp4 files won't play on Apple Quicktime
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mp4 files won't play on Apple Quicktime Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
There I am watching a video from a Samsung 360 HD camera, with no sound. Weeks later, with a borrowed second identical camera, same problem. Obviously not a camera problem. Read internet, saw insight that you need codec or another software to interface. Not happy. Feel stupid for failure to diagnose original problem. Tried mp4 files on Windows machine. Work fine.

One more reason to buy a Windows machine. So tired of Apple.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
VLC is available for Apple. I didn't realize QT even existed anymore.
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
This is now my default player on Windows machines, too.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
There I am watching a video from a Samsung 360 HD camera, with no sound. Weeks later, with a borrowed second identical camera, same problem. Obviously not a camera problem. Read internet, saw insight that you need codec or another software to interface.

Not a codec problem, unless your Mac is really old. My 2 Macs (late 2013 and mid 2015) play mp4's in both Quicktime and Quicktime 7. This is with just a standard install, no additional codecs or anything added. Quicktime comes standard on all Mac's. Quicktime 7 is an older version that requires an install. It offers some better editing features, so I've hung on to my registered copy.

Other than that, I cannot offer any ideas, except to use VLC. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My 2011 iMac plays MP4 videos with Quicktime.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Mp4 is a container that can use any number of codecs. Most likely, the camera is using a proprietary audio codec. For example, it could be encoding the audio to WMA audio.

I was once on a job where all the instructional videos were sent as WMV files, and I had to get converters to make them work on my Mac. The site supervisor had a comment very similar to the OP's. "See, that's the problem with Apple. Everything is proprietary." Meaning, if a device didn't support a proprietary Microsoft format in lieu of an open ISO format, then that device itself is proprietary. Go figure.

I would second the suggestion to use VLC. VLC is the do it all of video. Also, there could be a mismatch between your installed codecs. You never mentioned what version of OSX you are using. There were some changes to High Sierra that could also be causing problems.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my Mac to CREATE MP4's. It's not Apple Quicktime and MP4's, it's something on your Mac. It should be something not to hard to fix.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
VLC works. Thanks. The Samsung Gear 360 camera (a gift) definitely records sound. Not really interested in figuring out Apple QT 10.x.x which is now embedded in the OS.

Still looking for a new Windows machine. As expected BestBuy does not offer the combination of features I'd like.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
+1 for VLC. It’s all I use anymore because it plays everything.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post