SIGforum
2K Taco violated

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3760098964

May 06, 2020, 06:29 PM
Ripley
2K Taco violated
Mad Mad

This had to happen a couple days before I saw it. The only place it was unattended in three or more weeks was a few minutes at the local Ace Hardware. No note of course. Ace has security cams on their lot, turns out they're not working. Roll Eyes

2000 Tacoma that I only drive locally and not much even then - 66,000 miles. The best vehicle I've ever owned, I'll drive it another twenty years. $1400 estimate, $250 deductible, thanks anonymous asshole. Not yet sure if coverage/deductible will be upped.

The truck supported the carport when a tree came down in 2011, keeping two other vehicles unharmed --

I'd like to think the spunk bubble who hit me has a lot more visible and difficult to repair damage on his vehicle. Mad

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
May 06, 2020, 07:19 PM
.38supersig
That sucks!

Would there be the possibility of a security camera next door or across the street? ATM?

May 06, 2020, 07:35 PM
V-Tail
Hit & run really sucks. Other driver had to know that she hit your truck.

I hope that somehow, you are able to find her and have her cited for leaving the scene, or whatever is applicable, in addition to nailing her for your repairs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
May 06, 2020, 10:45 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
..she...

Big Grin

It's probably more likely the perp was some old fool from the clientele I've seen over the years. Being an old fool myself, I can spot them.

I think I will run down there and see if other cams might be available. It's a tight-assed town, not sure how cooperative folks will be.

May 07, 2020, 12:24 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
..she...
Big Grin

It's probably more likely the perp was some old fool from the clientele I've seen over the years. Being an old fool myself, I can spot them.

I think I will run down there and see if other cams might be available. It's a tight-assed town, not sure how cooperative folks will be.
I too, am an old fool. Maybe ten years ago, I was extricating my delivery truck, a GMC 3500 with a twelve foot cargo cube, out of a tight spot in the parking lot in front of the Ace Hardware in Satellite Beach, Florida. My attention was on some pedestrians behind me who had their faces stuck in their cell phones and were paying no attention whatsoever to traffic in the parking lot, and I scraped the side of the vehicle next to me. It was not possible to make that vehicle any uglier -- it was a Pontiac Aztec.

Not wanting to block traffic, I pulled around to the next lane to get out of the way. I wrote a note with my information and stuck it under the windshield wiper of the Aztec, and jotted down the license plate number for my information, sot that I would be able to track the owner down if s/he did not contact me, and then I left.

About twenty minutes later, I got a phone call from a cop who stated that I was observed leaving the scene. I told the cop that at the time I had no way of knowing who the owner of the parked Aztec was, and I had left my information, and I gave the cop my insurance information.

I was contacted that evening by a Lieutenant, stationed a nearby Patrick Air Force Base. She had not noticed the damage to her Aztec, and didn't even see the note that I had left under her windshield wiper until she had driven the vehicle home and parked it. She was flabbergasted that I had left the note instead of just driving away, and she thanked me profusely for leaving my information.

Heck, that's what insurance is for. The Hartford took care of everything, and since it was my first incident after years of being with them, they did not raise my rate.
As far as uncooperative folks in your tight-assed town who might not want to give you video from their security cameras, I would think that the police could obtain that as evidence; they might need a little prodding from your lawyer, but you should be able to collect your legal costs from the hit-and-run miscreant once you have identified her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
May 07, 2020, 06:16 PM
Ripley
quote:
..a little prodding from your lawyer...

Red Face No lawyer but I will check the area out for other cams and see how that goes, thanks. Smile

May 07, 2020, 06:30 PM
Skins2881
Only $1,400, I wouldn't even file a claim.

I hope the asshole gets stung by a Murder Hornet, just once or twice, not enough to kill em, just enough to really ruin their day.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
May 08, 2020, 12:10 AM
mod29
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:...
2000 Tacoma that I only drive locally and not much even then - 66,000 miles. The best vehicle I've ever owned, I'll drive it another twenty years...

Nice truck, too bad they don't make them like that anymore. Does that have the 4-cyl with 5-speed manual?

May 08, 2020, 05:54 AM
Blume9mm
I know it's your baby and hurts but one of the voices in my head from my youth growing up on a farm in the 60's and 70's keeps saying,

"Hey man, it's just a TRUCK!"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
May 08, 2020, 05:57 AM
DoctorSolo
Held up a carport. That's awesome!

I love my 09 v6 6mt. So simple yet so durable and so good at everything I need it for.
May 08, 2020, 06:48 AM
bendable
while waiting in the car at the Wal Mart, I see people , mostly physically challenged and elderly ,
backing out of their space.

Now they can't turn their heads and a lot of them refuse to use their mirrors.

they just start backing and turning and backing and turning .

like they are waiting until they hit something to stop the car.

Its not uncommon for me to honk at them to keep them from backing over someone or something.

I feel bad that they don't have someone to take them shopping and run errands.

watched an officer take a report of a hit and run at the supermarket , up in the big city.

the security cam on the building was pointed right at the damaged vehicle.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
May 08, 2020, 08:20 AM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:

Nice truck, too bad they don't make them like that anymore. Does that have the 4-cyl with 5-speed manual?

They sure don't! And yes and yes, such a smooth and torquey (sp?) 4, I've never regretted not getting the 6.

quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm

"Hey man, it's just a TRUCK!"

Blasphemy! Red Face I'll pretend you didn't say that. Mad

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Only $1,400, I wouldn't even file a claim

I wish. No lawyers, limited disposable income, just hoping low usage and miles won't kill insurance later.

May 08, 2020, 08:51 AM
1967Goat
I feel your pain. Back in Sept 2000 I bought a brand new Dodge Durango. I had it for a week and 2 days when I parked it in front of a friends house. I was inside for about 30 minutes. I came out and the drivers door was smashed in. I think someone was turning around in the driveway across the street and backed into it. No note or anything. It had 600 miles on it.
May 08, 2020, 10:18 AM
gpbst3
Check with one of the mobile vehicle dent removal companies. Might be salvageable for a few hundred bucks

May 08, 2020, 10:54 AM
Ryanp225
If you're a bit handy you may be able to knock that panel back out yourself and only have some ripple and slight paint damage.
A bottle jack in a few strategic locations followed by some loving work with a hammer and dolly would do the trick.
May 08, 2020, 12:44 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
If you're a bit handy you may be able to knock that panel back out yourself and only have some ripple and slight paint damage.
A bottle jack in a few strategic locations followed by some loving work with a hammer and dolly would do the trick.

I thought about that, the dent is easy to get at and I do have a hammer and dolly I've never used. Being on that lower quarter panel, bad work wouldn't jump out at you. But the tail light took a stress fracture, I imagine those are a few bucks so I decided to let the pros do it right and eat the deductible.

It's the same guys that fixed it after the carport deal, they did a good job on amazingly limited damage. Despite sitting under all that weight for over a week, besides a busted windshield and cosmetic body stuff, the Taco drove fine. By this stage, if we had kids, it would be an heirloom. Smile

May 08, 2020, 04:04 PM
mod29
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:

They sure don't! And yes and yes, such a smooth and torquey (sp?) 4, I've never regretted not getting the 6...

Excellent. I would keep that truck until the wheels fell off.

May 10, 2020, 07:11 AM
Blume9mm
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

I say fill it with bondo... (Then again the truck might have a tendency to lean to the left once you are through... so put a concrete block in the bed on the right side)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
May 10, 2020, 08:43 AM
RHINOWSO
I'd just bang it out and cover the paint to prevent rust.

It's a truck, after all.
May 13, 2020, 06:44 AM
4MUL8R
Make sure the "pros" use Toyota OEM parts. You know they won't. Pay the difference if they claim that insurance regulations prohibit use of OEM parts.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...