SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Credit Card got hacked...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card got hacked... Login/Join 
posted
...and it's partly my fault as I never make a CC transaction over the Internet......except this one time.

I always phone the company to speak with a human who takes the info from me and makes the transaction, however, I needed a special battery and no one would place the order over the phone.

So, Friday I got on the 'puter and entered all info for a battery company in Miami, Florida. (BTW, Battery is first name of the firm)

Halfway thru the deal, I decided to cancel the order and remove the page, but I believe I had already entered my CC numbers.

Sunday, I receive a phone call from the CC fraud division asking me if I made any CC buys in Florida over the Internet.

Uh, no, I said.

Nice lady on phone told me 12 purchases were made.

Of course, I'm not liable for those bogus purchases and a new Credit card is coming my way, and I emailed the battery company who told me this afternoon - "wasn't us, we didn't do it".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You credit card can get compromised in so many ways its difficult to pick a single instance.

Giving your credit card info to a person can be just as dangerous if not more. The person still has to enter you credit card number into the companies system. Either you do it online or the person on the phone does it. However now you just gave all your CC info to that person and its still gets put in the system anyways.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An update...

The Credit Union told me this morning that bogus purchases were made in Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Florida, so it appears that a card was made with my info stamped on it.

Also, a CC with a higher limit that has been dormant was used several days ago, but charges on that card were declined.

New CC are on the way and I'm getting a case to prevent skimming the card numbers.

Pa CU told me there has been a rash of CC being hacked this time of year.

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Cards can be skimmed at gas stations, restaurants, you name it.
Was the dormant credit card in your wallet?

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Cards can be skimmed at gas stations, restaurants, you name it.
Was the dormant credit card in your wallet?

No, dormant CC with higher limit (no rewards) and on HOLD was always home in metal can with other stuff.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Assume every credit card you have is already out there.

You'll probably be right.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post