SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A Day Without A Woman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Day Without A Woman Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
The second largest public school system in our state just had to announce (at 1930 EST) that kids will be off tomorrow due to the excessive number of leave requests that came in today. Not enough staff for transportation or education.

I'm not a parent, but boy would I be pissed. How many women will now have to miss a day of work and maybe pay - if they have that luxury - to stay home with their kids?

The school system - to their partial credit - takes no position on the merits of the issue. It's a purely pragmatic decision.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unexcused absence should be a day without a paycheck too.
Somehow, I doubt it but I,like the thought.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Unexcused absence should be a day without a paycheck too.
Somehow, I doubt it but I,like the thought.

They won't be unexcused as long as the employee has earned leave available and the leave granting authority (usually the immediate supervisor) approves the request.

Why any LGA wouldn't stop approving leave requests at the point of insufficient coverage and/or for lack of notice has to do exclusively with avoiding backlash, grievances, and very likely agreement with the movement.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Make them use their leave/vacation time, or no pay.

When are we going to do the same? - No police, no firefighters, no truckers, no construction, you get the idea.

Yes I know there are some women in those professions, but none of those things will shut down tomorrow.

Ever see a female butcher, or pizza maker?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many women will now have to miss a day of work and maybe pay - if they have that luxury - to stay home with their kids?

Many will fail to see the irony in this.

Here read their FAQs. I am sure once you read them you will take off the day in solidarity.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Dads can miss work, too.

I'd be pissed about the short notice.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i don't understand these days without a certain group of people.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
i don't understand these days without a certain group of people.

Just more irony.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Dads can miss work, too.

I'd be pissed about the short notice.

I'd be pissed about the notice, too. Don't most employers require a certain time frame to turn in time off requests?
Our work asks for a two week heads up, and I work with someone whose spouse has to turn in their time off requests a year ahead. 1 day notice for a time off request seems untenable, esp if you have a situation where multiple requests come in. Someone has to decide who gets it and who doesn't in order to keep operating.

I spect we aren't getting the whole story here.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

I can assure you that you are, in fact, getting the whole story.

I'm happy to explain in more detail if you really want to know - just shoot me an e-mail and I'll do it offline.

-Rob

A=A

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Can I identify as a woman today and skip work?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be A Day Without Pay if you decide to play.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

I'm happy to explain in more detail if you really want to know - just shoot me an e-mail and I'll do it offline.

-Rob

Not questioning you personally at all, and that was not my intent, but there has to be more they aren't saying!
Seriously, a teacher can just give 1 days notice that she won't be in the next day, and is taking a vaca, and it's cleared? Immediate supervisors should be released. How could they possibly run the school if that's the norm? I am struggling to understand how any system can operate if any/everyone can just not go to work for a day with that little notice! Your district must be wild with anger. I think I'd be pulling my kid from that district.

I cannot believe that this woman's day thing is causing an entire system to shut down. That's utter insanity.

I wonder if they really understand the ramifications of their actions.

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
I think that's their point is to prove the system can't live without them.... short term that may be true if they all just decide to call in one day because you have to assume 50% of workplace is male and 50% female (roughly depending on industry) .... but long term they would just hire more males if females didn't come to work... I don't understand the purpose...

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I took today off (didn't even know this was going on), but it looks like it is a real thing. I don't see a single woman working on the house they are building next door. I don't see a single woman roofing, landscaping, or even doing electrical work. Actually, it is trash day too, let me see if there are any women collecting the garbage.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
I took today off (didn't even know this was going on), but it looks like it is a real thing. I don't see a single woman working on the house they are building next door. I don't see a single woman roofing, landscaping, or even doing electrical work. Actually, it is trash day too, let me see if there are any women collecting the garbage.

Actually, they just picked up my recycling and the "monback" riding the tailgate was of the female persuasion. Genetically, at least...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
"monback" riding the tailgate
And here I thought I was unique in using that term, as in

"Monback, monback, monback" ... THUMP! "OK, that's good."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
"monback" riding the tailgate
And here I thought I was unique in using that term, as in

"Monback, monback, monback" ... THUMP! "OK, that's good."

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

Not questioning you personally at all, and that was not my intent, but there has to be more they aren't saying!
Seriously, a teacher can just give 1 days notice that she won't be in the next day, and is taking a vaca, and it's cleared? Immediate supervisors should be released. How could they possibly run the school if that's the norm? I am struggling to understand how any system can operate if any/everyone can just not go to work for a day with that little notice! Your district must be wild with anger. I think I'd be pulling my kid from that district.

I cannot believe that this woman's day thing is causing an entire system to shut down. That's utter insanity.

E-mail sent.

-Rob

A=A

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

E-mail sent.

-Rob

Email received. Holy shit.
Thank you for clarifying.

"Trust, but verify."