SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Harley Davidson MCs and cold weather
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson MCs and cold weather Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Of course.
Modern machining
Electronic ignition
Computer controlled fuel injection

Harley STILL manages to build a cold natured MC.
And do NOT come at me with “put a maintainer on the battery”

My Honda sits right next to in my shop, is four years older, has sat longer with an older battery on it....and it rolled over about three times and busted off.

This HD Roadster just barely cranks under the best of conditions. I’m convinced it needs about a 1/2 again bigger battery. But that would ruin the “looks” and “lines” of the bike, I guess.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I remember my 1960 BMW R-50. No electric starter. It was my daily commuter, weather permitting.

The first really cold day, it was a bit below zero when I left for work, so that was not a motorcycle day, but I was curious to see if it would start.

Gas valve on, press the priming buttons on the carburetors for a couple of seconds, step on the kickstarter a couple of times to get a charge of fuel into the cylinders, ignition on, one stroke of the kickstarter and it sat there, quietly purring. It was always a one-kick starter. Until the day it was stolen. Frown

Contrast to my old HD, also non-electric. A major effort to start, even on a balmy summer day. A co-worker had one, too. He said that he was going to move to a place on top of a hill and if the HD would not start, rolling down the hill, he would just take the bus to work.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Harley Davidson.... But that would ruin the “looks” and “lines” of the bike

Looking at HD riders, it's all about the looks anyway?

I thought the bikes were water soluble, since you never see them in the rain..?

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
This got me thinking. Went out to my Street Glide which is always on a battery tender through the winter months. Turned on the ignition and it fired up instantly. Hadn't been started since Christmas.

Now, my carbed Fat Boy might take a little more coaxing.

I will admit that I don't go out to the garage in the pouring rain and head out. I've ridden my Harleys in the rain plenty. Just not by choice.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by V-Tail:
I remember my 1960 BMW R-50. No electric starter. It was my daily commuter, weather permitting.

The first really cold day, it was a bit below zero when I left for work, so that was not a motorcycle day, but I was curious to see if it would start.

Gas valve on, press the priming buttons on the carburetors for a couple of seconds, step on the kickstarter a couple of times to get a charge of fuel into the cylinders, ignition on, one stroke of the kickstarter and it sat there, quietly purring. It was always a one-kick starter. Until the day it was stolen. Frown

Contrast to my old HD, also non-electric. A major effort to start, even on a balmy summer day. A co-worker had one, too. He said that he was going to move to a place on top of a hill and if the HD would not start, rolling down the hill, he would just take the bus to work.[/QUOT

Reminds me of an old Yamaha IT465 I had that was such a PIA to start there were days I just didnt go riding because I didn't wnat to deal with it

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That's because your Honda has little bitty teeny tiny little japanese pistons, and those itty bitty pistons take very little pressure to move. Razz

Whereas your Harley has big ass honkin 'merican pistons about the size of a Chevy 350, man pistons, and we know that man pistons take a little more to crank up. Big Grin

My guess is your battery is in need of either replacement, it's maybe not gone but it's getting there. Whenever my HD has started slow or stumbled starting its been the culprit of a dying battery, replace it and the problem is solved. With all the modern electronics, efi, ecm, bcm, etc it takes a good battery to crank it properly.

Just went out, fired up the 110 CUI Road Glide, no hesitation at all and it's not on a tender, although I should since I have one.

Find the closest distributor for East Penn Deka in your area, they make the HD AGM batteries and you'll pay less. You can also get one at Autozone for a lot less money than an HD shop.

Or put a tender on it....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I always "one kicked" my Harleys.

Since the older models had "wasted spark", you had to understand how they worked to "one kick" them.

When Cold, I open the choke 1/2, open the throttle wide open and kicked through two times with key off.
Let the throttle close, and then "pedal" piston to just about the very point of TDC. (you learn to "feel" where this point is but you have to be past the ignition of 5* BTDC, so the spark event has occurred) then key on, with your right foot on the pedal and hands on both grips, swing all you weight up (jump with your left leg and your right foot only has enough pressure to preload on the pedal without moving it or letting it come up by the spring return) and then at the top of the "jump" you transfer all your weight, make your leg about 95% straight and tight (but not locked) and bring your self dwon pushing the pedal all the way through and holding until the engine starts, or the rotation stops.

If you do it correctly, it will fire off almost every single time, hot or cold. (hot, you won't need choke, or maybe 1/8-1/4 each bike is a bit different).

If you try and kick before the ignition point of 5* BTDC, or you fail to put some ass in the stroke, you will get a kick back. If you lock you leg, you will screw up your knee over time from hyper flexing it with a lot of wight coming down.

If you do not make your leg muscles tight and hold, and it kicks back, you will knee yourself in the chest or chin (I saw a guy break three teeth once).

I was doing this and weighed about 140 (and later I was 165). But I learned watching my uncle when I was a little bugger and remembered what he did and how he explained it to others, so I tried and realized how easy it was when I got my first Harley. (Shovels and later Evos) rode a Sportser once, for about 25 miles on a run with a good friend, then I told him to pull my Hog over and give it back.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HD cold weather start? Try kicking over a '66 HD XLCH in cold weather. Magneto ignition. Instruction book called for 50 W oil. Wife was pissed when I parked it in the living room.

My 2014 FXDL (Low Rider) called for 20w50 weight oil. 103 cu Motor had a compression release for easier starting.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

Reminds me of an old Yamaha IT465 I had that was such a PIA to start there were days I just didnt go riding because I didn't wnat to deal with it

My Kawasaki 650W1 was like that. Possibly the prettiest bike I ever owned but a miserable son of a bitch to start. Didn't stop all that well either. Or handle. But it was pretty, and sounded great.

Didn't keep it long.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortunately they retain their value well. Sell it and get another Honda.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Started my 83 , BMW R-65 today. First time since November or early December. Cranked for maybe 2 seconds, then PURRRRRRR.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Fortunately they retain their value well. Sell it and get another Honda.

That’s the plan. This is my 1st “not-a-Honda”. I just wanted to be able to say I’d owned one when someone wise cracked about buying American Iron. Smile
Yep, been there, done that...

My next will most likely be an Africa Twin.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
People don’t think Pirate bikes be like they do, but they is.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
The monkey has it right. I had a ‘65 with some work done to it. I’ve seen it kick back and launch a 225 pound man (not me) right over the saddle.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I don't have a HD. I don't have a motorcycle. Frown

I did put a battery tender on my Land Cruiser, because it'll suck a battery dry as little as I drive the thing. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and add a battery tender....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In England they charge motorcycle batteries with molasses. They call it a treacle charger. Big Grin

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. I have a old Honda sportbike with four carbs that will not start in cold weather. I tried starting it the other day since it’s been a while since it ran and I couldn’t get it to start at first. I put a small electric heater next to it and once I got my garage nice and toasty the dang Honda fired right up. Mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
You're right a lot of Harley starters are slow turning over the engine especially when cold. Both my previous Harleys were like that. One cold morning around 11,000' in Colorado it was below freezing because my water bottle was frozen. After packing up my tent and chilled to the bone I prayed my FXDXI would turn over and start and it did, spun awfully slow but it fired up and idled perfectly.

My current 2015 Road King seems to be less affected probably because HD added a compression release on the 103" motors and larger.

My Honda Africa Twin has always turned over slowly which worries me as it has a DCT so I don't believe it can be bump started so I just ordered new batteries for both it and the RK. Quite a difference in size and capacity between the Harley battery and what Honda uses.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
2002 Honda Interceptor. FI. Battery tender. Starts always. Even cold.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
2002 Honda Interceptor. FI. Battery tender. Starts always. Even cold.

2007 Interceptor. Any ol' time, starts right up. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post