SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Harley Davidson MCs and cold weather
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson MCs and cold weather Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Push her down the driveway hop on and pop it in gear!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Wait, I though we were talking about MC, when did women get dragged into this?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
My three year old battery died on the shelf over the winter. So I dropped a new one in my 93 Ultra with an S&S carb and she fired right up. 29 degrees outside and the bike was in an unheated, uninsulated metal building. Now it's not ready to roll for a few minutes until it warms up but it always starts.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Deka AGM battery recommendation. They are great.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
1956 Harley panhead. Bendix carb, points ignition. 30 or so degrees and 3 kicks will fire it off. I keep it in tune (very important).

Oh...I use 50 wt. oil per Harley's recommendations, not wussy 10-30.. Any bike (Honda, Kaw, Harley) will not want to fire off if you don't pull maintenance.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
1956 Harley panhead. Bendix carb, points ignition. 30 or so degrees and 3 kicks will fire it off. I keep it in tune (very important).

Oh...I use 50 wt. oil per Harley's recommendations, not wussy 10-30.. Any bike (Honda, Kaw, Harley) will not want to fire off if you don't pull maintenance.

I'm jealous. Pics?

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail - glad to hear about a fellow Beemer owner. My newest/most recent purchase is a ‘67 R50US. Your starting procedure will be followed as I get this one back on the road.

I have two others, a ‘77 R100S and a ‘94 R1100RS.

As far a challenges to start, I had a ‘73 Triumph Bonneville 750. It ran straight 50W oil in the crankcase. In the winter “Kicking over” was a great illustration of what slow motion looked like. I would pour two gallons of hot tap water over the engine. That would warm it up enough that I could actually get it started. It was a nice classic bike, but like most British motors, you had to like tinkering to keep it running right.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my '18 Road Glide Ultra cranks right up every time. I will admit I don't ride it much below about 34 or 35 degrees.... too much risk of black ice on the way to work. I also don't deliberately ride it to work if it's raining. Anytime other than that, I'm on it. My daily commuter.

I had a new BMW R-60 back in the early 70's that was the most cold-natured bike I've ever had. Almost impossible to kick start...

Posts: 9 | Registered: December 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I'm jealous. Pics?

Frankenstien. Later swing arm frame, brakes, front end. Mismatched just about everyway but I've logged a few miles on her.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I'm jealous. Pics?

Frankenstien. Later swing arm frame, brakes, front end. Mismatched just about everyway but I've logged a few miles on her.

Way cool. Thanks