SIGforum
Spotted a fraudulent charge on my credit card last night

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3750061444

July 09, 2018, 11:10 AM
DrewR
Spotted a fraudulent charge on my credit card last night
To the scum sucking POS who thought he could use my credit card last night to book a room at whatever pay-by-the-hour flophouse you took that disease riddled crack whore to I suggest you stick with ripping off the gas cards provided to college students by their loving mommies and daddies and not mine because I am more paranoid then the average bear and I check my card several times a day just for this reason. So I saw the pending authorization come through probably before you had finished checking into that roach motel and I probably had my card cancelled and had notified the third party booking service you used before that hag had finished giving you the VD you richly deserve.

I hope you enjoyed trying to check out this morning and I hope you tried to pay for the said crack whore with the card that I had cancelled so, with any luck, not only do you now have a fresh case of the clap (and maybe some crabs) but I hope you also have an angry pimp looking for you.

Sincerely,
Perfect Paranoia Is Perfect Awareness

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.
July 09, 2018, 11:55 AM
sigmonkey
Some may wish to use credit card transaction alerts and message to email or SMS to phone.

Most SMS alerting is within seconds of the charge.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
July 09, 2018, 12:00 PM
HRK
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Some may wish to use credit card transaction alerts and message to email or SMS to phone.

yep that's the ticket.... Amex is very good about this...

July 09, 2018, 12:06 PM
V-Tail
quote:

I have three cards that I use for different porpoises. (depending on which dolphin)

Costco citi VISA, instant notification.

Capital One MasterCard, instant notification.

USAA VISA, probably sometime the same week. Maybe.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
July 09, 2018, 12:41 PM
PHPaul
Righteous rant, Dude!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
July 09, 2018, 01:40 PM
RHINOWSO
Now that’s the way to do it!

You should hold a class and teach the rest on how to properly ‘pitch your bitch’.
July 09, 2018, 03:28 PM
DrewR
quote:

Thanks for the heads up about the text notifications, I didn’t realize my credit card company had this option but it is enabled now.

July 09, 2018, 05:40 PM
egregore
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Righteous rant, Dude!

Gotta hand him that. Fortunately, fraudulent credit card charges are easily dealt with. Tell the card issuer it wasn't you and eventually it will be reversed and disappear. Debit card charges aren't as easy.
July 09, 2018, 06:55 PM
DrewR
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Gotta hand him that. Fortunately, fraudulent credit card charges are easily dealt with. Tell the card issuer it wasn't you and eventually it will be reversed and disappear. Debit card charges aren't as easy.

That’s why I don’t use my debit card and instead use cash for weekly expenses. The credit card comes out for big purchases because I would rather not see my own bank account hit by fraudulent activity.

July 09, 2018, 07:54 PM
chongosuerte
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

That’s why I don’t use my debit card and instead use cash for weekly expenses. The credit card comes out for big purchases because I would rather not see my own bank account hit by fraudulent activity.

This is my approach. I recently killed my debit card and have not re-activated my new one. I use cash for general purchases and pay bills and online purchases with the CC.

My aggravation is that my credit union's credit card system will delay a transaction from posting for 3 or more days sometimes. I like to move the money when I make the payments/purchases, but the credit union lags behind my ledger.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
July 09, 2018, 08:18 PM
henryaz

I have my SMS alerts set on all cards and accounts for any purchase over $0.99. That catches them all, including mostly all mine, which I can easily delete. Usually when I make charge, I can hear the new message tone in my pocket within seconds, or a most a minute or two.

July 10, 2018, 12:31 AM
Gustofer
Whores take credit cards nowadays?

Who knew?

July 10, 2018, 03:33 AM
Anush
quote:
That’s why I don’t use my debit card and instead use cash for weekly expenses.

+1
I used to get about 1 a year, but last year I had 3 different cards compromised. Now I am a cash only person & reserve 1 credit card for internet purposes.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
July 10, 2018, 07:51 AM
Eponym
Thanks for the reminder. I reviewed and tuned the notifications on all my accounts.

ETA: I also reviewed the credit freezes/locks on my credit cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eponym,