SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Locked Out Of My Hangar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locked Out Of My Hangar Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Definitely time for . . . retirement
Ready. Do you want to buy my business?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nah, I can't stand Central Florida for more than a week at a time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has this being locked out of hangers, lockers etc
Manifested recently or could this be part of a deeper hidden fear of failure?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
The circuit breaker is a double one (takes two slots in the breaker box).
If it's 240v then you can't use the little tiny Honda generators, they are only 120v. Still can be done, just would need oversized generator for that specific purpose. Equipment may also be more expensive, but not likely ( greater than 20a).
I'll take a look next time I'm at the hangar and report back. Memory tells me that there's a wiring diagram on the data plate, showing two different ways to connect this, either 120V or 240V. Stand by until Monday.

I seem to remember something similar happening a few years ago and me "Instant Karma'ing"™ a ginormous invertor (3K I think)in an effort to solve this exact dilema. Do you still have it? IIRC it's red and the last I remember seeing it was on a shelf on the classroom area of your office.

I'm not sure if it cab handle the hysraulic pump but it's worth a try.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rotndad,

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
My Bi-fold door motor has a twist lock 220V plug. I bought a generator to keep at the hangar to keep from being trapped.

Hey Paul, are we ever going to go flying together?

I'm almost always available and ready to go! Big Grin

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:

My Bi-fold door motor has a twist lock 220V plug. I bought a generator to keep at the hangar to keep from being trapped.
Question for you and maybe for Jesse Skins: Don't you need some sort of transfer switch to isolate the hangar door motor from the mains when you're using the generator?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:

I seem to remember something similar happening a few years ago and me "Instant Karma'ing"™ a ginormous invertor (3K I think)in an effort to solve this exact dilema. Do you still have it? IIRC it's red and the last I remember seeing it was on a shelf on the classroom area of your office.

There is a new hangar going up, right behind mine. Right now it's just a shell; various sub-contractors come and go daily. I'll keep an eye out for the electrical guys, try to snag one of them if I can catch him (her?), and see what it would take to McGyver this.

I think that the inverter would need to be powered from a vehicle battery, so it might be necessary to drill through the hangar wall adjacent to the door for a connector.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:...There is a new hangar going up, right behind mine. Right now it's just a shell; various sub-contractors come and go daily. I'll keep an eye out for the electrical guys, try to snag one of them if I can catch him (her?), and see what it would take to McGyver this....

Go put your phone number where the service demarq is or will be located, and one of them 'lectrissicle guys should call you.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:

There is a new hangar going up, right behind mine. Right now it's just a shell; various sub-contractors come and go daily. I'll keep an eye out for the electrical guys, try to snag one of them if I can catch him (her?), and see what it would take to McGyver this.

I think that the inverter would need to be powered from a vehicle battery, so it might be necessary to drill through the hangar wall adjacent to the door for a connector.

Option two deep cycle batt left inside hanger for that purpose, way easier than patching hole after your lease.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Option two deep cycle batt left inside hanger for that purpose, way easier than patching hole after your lease.
Not worried about patching hole after lease, I would try to sell the hangar owners on the idea that this would be an improvement to the hangar that would remain after I'm gone, so they should pay for it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Just like generators, with inverters, available amperage is your problem.

During one hurricane, before I fired up my generator, I tried to get an inverter to run a cube fridge off of my car battery. Had plenty or wattage for the job, didn't produce enough amps to turn the compressor, so the breaker on the inverter blew each time the fridge tried to start up.

Check the power delivery capacity of the inverter...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If / when I can snag an electrician from the hangar under construction, I will show him / her the inverter and ask all the appropriate questions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
If / when I can snag an electrician from the hangar under construction, I will show him / her the inverter and ask all the appropriate questions.

What are the specs of the inverter Volts IN/OUT and watts/model and also the specs of the electric motor for the hanger door? I deal with inverters on a daily/weekly basis as well as hydraulic motors. Many of the yachts I manage/run have inverter banks and hydraulic motors. Does the door open overhead or to the side? Most hanger doors have a disconnect and are counter sprung and be able to be opened manually if you disconnect the opener AND/OR most hydraulic pumps I've seen have a manual pump and you can hand pump them to open or close the hydraulic doors, but also have to press the release on the solenoid at the same time. In my situation they're used for the swim platforms that lower/raise in the water to launch the dinghy and also for the garage doors (storage) etc.

Are you able to take pictures of the entire hydraulic pump assembly?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post