SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Locked Out Of My Hangar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locked Out Of My Hangar Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Somebody decided that it was a good idea to drive into a pole, so we are without electrical power.

The big hangar door is operated by hydraulic pistons, the pump in the hydraulic system is electric.

The small man-size (person-size?) door works, but airplanes are trapped.

Can not do any work in the hangar today with the oven door closed and ambient temperatures in the mid 90s.

No computer power.

No air conditioning in the office.

No fans working anywhere.

No fire alarm monitoring -- battery backup is fine for short intervals, but not for extended power interruptions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good day to double check your insurance. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
My Bi-fold door motor has a twist lock 220V plug. I bought a generator to keep at the hangar to keep from being trapped.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
My Bi-fold door motor has a twist lock 220V plug. I bought a generator to keep at the hangar to keep from being trapped.

Good thinking!

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1935 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I added a couple batteries to my alarm/fire system. Lasts for 5 days.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:

This is a hydro-swing door. Once piece, not bi-fold. Hinged along the top. The whole door pivots up and out, pushed by a hydraulic ram on each side.

The hangar is leased. I should probably get a quote from an electrician about some sort of transfer switch to isolate the electric pump from the mains and use external power, and then discuss it with the owner / landlord.

It's generally not a terrible thing if power fails when the place is locked up, as it did today, but we have had one or two power failures when the door was open. I certainly did not want to leave and go home while the hangar was wide open, so I sat there with SIG on my hip, waiting for power to be restored so I could close the door. Not fun, especially around sunset during mosquito season. Reminded me of standing watch at our missile compound in my Navy days long ago.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
No hand pump? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Master Lock & manual door here. Plane should be out of annual today, Oshkosh next week. I also got a new Stratus ADS-B transponder with improvement to the panel lighting.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

No hand pump? Big Grin
Nope. Not likely to happen, I am a renter, the owner is not likely to spend the $$, even if there was a hand pump available as an option to the system.

Would be a good idea, at least for lowering the door. Not sure that I would want to raise it that way except in case of dire emergency.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

...the oven door closed and ambient temperatures in the mid 90s...

Good thing the V-Tail isn't rag-and-twig, the glue would probably melt!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Costco has or had a 6000 portable generator with electric start and propane or gas option....

With a transfer switch outside you could roll it up, fire it up and be working easily.

Or put in a big ol Generac, see if you can get a few months free rent for installing the generator... Both win...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

...the oven door closed and ambient temperatures in the mid 90s...

Good thing the V-Tail isn't rag-and-twig, the glue would probably melt!

That’s why you’ve got to shoot holes in the roof...for ventilation.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Time to go fishin'.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Costco has or had a 6000 portable generator with electric start and propane or gas option....

With a transfer switch outside you could roll it up, fire it up and be working easily.

Or put in a big ol Generac, see if you can get a few months free rent for installing the generator... Both win...

Probably overkill for the application. A little tiny Honda one would do it and be more easily moved. As far as the transfer switch, he'd just use a double pull double throw switch wired in line with a plug end put on switch. Utility power out, flip light switch to genny, close door. Turn off genny and flip switch back to utility power. Electrician should be able to do in 1-2 hours with common off the shelf items. If it's bigger than 20a it would add a few complexities, but still easy and cheap to do.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Oh, its the big hangar doors. I was thinking you could just shoot the lock off with a 9MM from across the street.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Probably overkill for the application. A little tiny Honda one would do it and be more easily moved. As far as the transfer switch, he'd just use a double pull double throw switch wired in line with a plug end put on switch. Utility power out, flip light switch to genny, close door. Turn off genny and flip switch back to utility power. Electrician should be able to do in 1-2 hours with common off the shelf items. If it's bigger than 20a it would add a few complexities, but still easy and cheap to do.
I'll check the data plate on the motor to look at the power requirements. I'm going from memory here, I think that the motor that drives the pump can be installed either as 110V or 220V, I seem to remember a diagram that shows how to do it either way. I'm guessing that it's 110, but would need to verify. The circuit breaker is a double one (takes two slots in the breaker box).

In a power-out situation, I guess I would not need to power anything else in the hangar, just the ability to open and close the door. The only other thing that should be powered is the fire alarm monitoring system, but I'm not going to worry too much about that; if mine is out of service, it's likely that many others are also out.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The circuit breaker is a double one (takes two slots in the breaker box).

If it's 240v then you can't use the little tiny Honda generators, they are only 120v. Still can be done, just would need oversized generator for that specific purpose. Equipment may also be more expensive, but not likely ( greater than 20a).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
The circuit breaker is a double one (takes two slots in the breaker box).
If it's 240v then you can't use the little tiny Honda generators, they are only 120v. Still can be done, just would need oversized generator for that specific purpose. Equipment may also be more expensive, but not likely ( greater than 20a).
I'll take a look next time I'm at the hangar and report back. Memory tells me that there's a wiring diagram on the data plate, showing two different ways to connect this, either 120V or 240V. Stand by until Monday.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Also check the amps. Remember that starting amps are roughly twice what running amps are for the motor, so 10 amp motor will require 20 amps to start. This can be an issue as most portable generators top out at 30 amps, unless you spend a LOT of money, or buy a monster.

My 7500 watt Generac tops out at 30 amps, so while it makes 240 volt current, which my central air requires, it doesn't make enough amperage to start the compressors which kick over at about 40 amps and run at 20.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Definitely time for a vacation V-tail.

Maybe even retirement? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post