SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Off season" local elections turnout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Off season" local elections turnout Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Yesterday we had an election for local candidates. I looked at results and for our town the turnout was well under 15 percent! Mad

When I went to vote and asked my wife to go with me she was like "I don't even know who is running". I told her at bare minimum you can vote for those in your party of choice. Yeah it is a lot harder to get info on candidates in these elections it seems. I found a website for democrat voters and it had a list of those that are not affiliated with a party but "share our values" including a candidate for village trustee and library board. I wrote those names down and gave her a copy and said "don't vote for these". A lot of those running were unopposed. I looked up what I could for village trustees, knew a little about some of them and made a list from that.

I told my wife that these "unknown" people are tomorrow's representatives, senators, and maybe even governor and that even at the village/county/township/school board level they can have a major impact on us and the children of our village including the taxes we have to pay and safety. One village had a "defund the police department" referendum on the ballot, it was defeated but a third of the votes supported it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I saw St.Louis area election results crawling at the bottom of the screen last night and the vast majority of candidates were either identified by "i" or no affiliation listed.

I guess politics are so toxic these days, very few are willing to be openly identifiable. Seems like a take on Pelosi's famous line about having to read the bill to find out what's in it. What a mess. Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I also thought it was interesting when they asked me to sign my name on the digital screen I just scribbled but then told them I had my drivers license if my signature was questionable and they weren't interested in seeing it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local FOP lodge tracks that info for us.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I saw St.Louis area election results crawling at the bottom of the screen last night and the vast majority of candidates were either identified by "i" or no affiliation listed.

I guess politics are so toxic these days, very few are willing to be openly identifiable. Seems like a take on Pelosi's famous line about having to read the bill to find out what's in it. What a mess. Roll Eyes

In my town, the Democrats don't list party affiliation, but the Republicans do.

Makes it easy to tell who's who.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post