SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lost an auction, buyer relists for increase.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost an auction, buyer relists for increase. Login/Join 
posted
I hate seeing items i want for my personal collection purchased by resellers looking to make a buck. I went to an auction last week, watched 2.5 hours of junk waiting for one item I was interested in. I quit bidding about 25% over what it was worth and and about $50 over where I said I would. Today I see it on online auction for another 15% over what was paid.
I don't mind as much losing to another collector, but resale buyers piss me off. People suck and I'm done whining now.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

If you walked in and saw it for the forst time, priced as it is, not knowing the "sale/purchase" history, you would not have given it a second thought after thinking "too rich for my wallet" and walked on.

You know the adage about petting sweaty things, this is one.

Keep you eyes peeled and your wallet fat, and a better opportunity will come your way.

Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I see this too on another gun forum.

There are some who perpetually live in the handguns for sale section (along with the rifles) and swoop in on the great deals. As I am selling a 6.5" stainless single six with holster (for a reasonable price), those same "swoopers" are the first to offer me anywhere from 50% to 75% of asking price.

It's fairly obvious what they are trying to do.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If he can get that higher price, then perhaps you have underestimated the value of the item.

It is a free market - purchasing for a collection is not a more worthy purchase than a purchase to resell.

I understand that you are disappointed, but that doesn't make this sequence of events wrong in some way.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Your head would explode if you were into watches.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

I'd try another vendor...

And not hold it up to my ear to see if it's still ticking.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I hate seeing items i want for my personal collection purchased by resellers looking to make a buck. I went to an auction last week, watched 2.5 hours of junk waiting for one item I was interested in. I quit bidding about 25% over what it was worth and and about $50 over where I said I would. Today I see it on online auction for another 15% over what was paid.
I don't mind as much losing to another collector, but resale buyers piss me off. People suck and I'm done whining now.

What's wrong with folks buying then re-sell? The buyers determine the prices. Millions of people buy and re-sell everyday. I guess capitalism sucks, huh?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I hate when that 0 feedback buyer wins the "no reserve" starting at $0.99 auction ... then the same seller re-lists it later claiming it's a different one.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sounds like either you or the re-seller estimated the cost of the item wrong. Hopefully he did and you find it at what you want to pay. Nothing to be mad about though, dude bought it, it's his to sell however for any price. He could sell it for $1,000,000 and you've still not lost a thing. Relax, you see whatever it was pop up again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
What's wrong with folks buying then re-sell
If you're not an FFL, it's against the law.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I see this too on another gun forum.

There are some who perpetually live in the handguns for sale section (along with the rifles) and swoop in on the great deals. As I am selling a 6.5" stainless single six with holster (for a reasonable price), those same "swoopers" are the first to offer me anywhere from 50% to 75% of asking price.

It's fairly obvious what they are trying to do.

I would instantly reply with a counteroffer of 125-150% of asking price "For you" I would tell them.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite are the sellers that have an item that doesn't sell, then they re-list the same item for $50 MORE.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
What's wrong with folks buying then re-sell

If you're not an FFL, it's against the law.

It's not so black and white.

If you're not an FFL, and you are “engaged in the business of dealing in
firearms
”, then yes, it's against the law.

You're not required to have an FFL, if you're a person “who make
occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a
personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection
of firearms.”

DO I NEED A LICENSE TO BUY AND SELL FIREARMS?

In the OP's case, we don't even know the particulars. What was it? Was it even a firearm? What's it worth? Who the heck knows. All we knows is OP gave up, and someone else won. And, he now decided to sell it. If it was a gun, is he FFL? Maybe he is, we don't know. If he's not FFL, and this was a gun that he resells, there's no guarantee that he will be able to sell it at the listed price. Auction listed prices mean nothing.

Point of all this is that folks can buy and re-sell firearms, with or without FFL, according to ATF rules & regulations.

If it wasn't a firearm, then all this discussion is moot, but my original statement remains valid.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you purchase a firearm with the intent of reselling it, and you are not an FFL, you are breaking the law, and if you buy a firearm and then immediately list it for sale, that's exactly what you're doing, and it's against the law. End of story.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what the gun grabbers want to use as an example to take our guns.
If you partake in buying to resale YOU ARE a problem.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I missed where the OP mentioned it was a firearm? Either way, I sympathize that it sucks to lose - even if you like and approve of free market transactions.

On that note, however, I have a buddy who was "visited" by "those guys" because he had purchased 10 firearms over the last year from a particular shop. (one that he had sold had been stolen FROM the person he sold it to and used in a crime later and they found him incidentally while tracking the gun- granted, they didn't know all that until they contacted the man he sold it to AFTER they hassled my buddy.)
They unofficially accused him of being a dealer because he had sold 7 or so of them. He told them that he had purchased them to use/ carry, tried to like each one and just sold the ones he didn't like- USUALLY AT A LOSS. They still pressured and made vague statements and tried to scare him. A-holes.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post