SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Strange "spam" e-mails lately
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange "spam" e-mails lately Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
Not the usual Nigerian lottery winner or discount hard-on pills, not even in English, but either some completely foreign language or complete gibberish. Examples: "Stukni v papazappa at jabber org po povodu c4s bazy," sent by "Marvyn." Another from apbstudio at geraldoluis.com: "Fast Kamagra." Naturally, any e-mails from sketchy sources are deleted on sight without reading.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never really understood the point of this. I get that the real scammers are trying to make money. However, what's the point of gibberish? For a long time I was getting spam texts to my phone that were nothing but random English words and phrases. As if someone copied a paragraph from a book and mixed up every 4th word.

And what's with the phishing emails that have all the extra characters in the subject line? If you want to pretend to be Amazon, why not at least try to copy an Amazon email? I guess we should be glad that most of these idiots aren't smart enough.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
SPAM filters use various methods to "evaluate" content of emails and the spammers are using methods to "seed" the SPAM filtering. So thousands of emails are sent by thousands of spammers and eventually some SPAM gets past the filters, and once that occurs, more SPAM gets past the filters.

Think of (my bad analogy) a burglar trying to break into houses with guard dogs.

Dogs will alert and bark, but Mr. Burglar tosses treats in the yards of the houses he is trying to burgle.

Some of the dogs continue to bark, and a few ignore the treats, others eat the treats and bark, and then your dog (yeah, always your dog!) eats the treats, stops barking and even shows the burglar where you keep the good stuff!

Sort of how the spammers are working to get past the filters.

Realize the SPAM filtering efforts are targeted after the spammers try things and get through, so almost always behind the power curve, and hoping to "protect" you, before you get hit, (but almost always after someone else has been hit).

Sure, this is a "simple" explanation, and it really is much more complex, but it should help you understand a bit more about it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post