SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Parts you don't need that come with the ones that do
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parts you don't need that come with the ones that do Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
The control board on our oven went out. The only place I could find online that had the part was appliancepartspros.com. $240 for the board. It ships and shows up. And it comes with 4! of the chrome plated control knob bezels:

Why the fuck do I need this? I didn't ask for it nor do I need it. I need the controller!

And the kicker? If you try to buy the bezel alone, it is "Discontinued by the manufacturer". Then how and why did I get FOUR of them? And why are they bundled with this?!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of "modular parts". We were seeing this in o.e.m. service replacement auto parts for a number of years. Most glaring WTF moment was that some models of GM cars the only way to get an inside door handle was to replace the inside door trim panel. Yes. even though the handle was not molded into the panel it was coded in our catalogs as "N.A.", not available.

So we would call in to tech assistance,get a case number and inform whoever requested the part that instead of a expected fifty-sixty dollar part they now need a trim panel in the four to six hundred dollar range. In my memory at least one case the non serviced part became replaceable but still the point was "why"?

They also did that with some parts on the "U" series vans in the early 2000's. Door mechanical parts were pre-assembled to a inner door panel. From memory dependent upon equipment level those were in the six to eight hundred dollar range at MSRP.

At least you got the bezels, imagine if you were the guy that just needed one bezel and now found out that it was only available with the control board........

Another reason I'm glad I'm out.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
And they get tossed in a drawer, with all the other “extra parts” that you might need one day. Problem is, you never think about those “extra parts” if/when you need them, so you buy more.
I’ve started tossing most stuff like that. It’s like all those AR parts you collect over the years, cant even karma them away....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ordered a fire pit patio table and chairs from Sams Club. Delivered in 3 boxes that I could fit into.

One of the chair frame legs was bent and 2 screws were stripped. Wife calls Sams to see if they can send a chair frame and a screw kit.

Customer service says they will send a new order and we can take what we need and send the rest back. Could not believe they would ship and return a $2500 patio set for a few parts.

Wife asks just for the needed parts and after a week Sams was able to get the manufacture to send just the needed parts.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Used to be able to go to a junk yard and get car parts.

Now do you need an exterior door handle? You're going to have to buy an entire door. Need the glass for a lift gate? Yup you're buying the whole gate! Etc. ad infinitum. Mad

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post