SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Overuse of Acronyms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overuse of Acronyms Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Army is awful for use of acronyms for 3 letter words that end up as a 3 letter acronym.

Car is POV for personally owned vehicle
Gun is POW for personally owned weapon

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
BRB, TTYL. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
TL;DR

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S pecial
H igh
I ntensity
T raining

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I don't find it annoying. Really. I find it a fun challenge for me to look things up and learn something new.

I'm unsure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

I fully agree with the sarcastic version of you statement.

I stop reading things that have Twitter/text words or acronyms in them unless I can figure out from context. I'm not googling some acronym, it defeats the point of abbreviations if they add time to reading something.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Seems that was a recent THREAD title. My snarky comment in the thread was ignored.
For example IBTL Smile

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not use them much at all, but when I worked for the DOD(Dept. of Defense) We had to take an acronym test to get promoted, as well as a test in the area or expertise.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had to take an acronym test to get promoted, as well as a test in the area or expertise.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This explains a lot of things. Promotion of bureaucrats to higher and higher positions.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Some acronyms provide better communication of meaning than the words of which they are made.

Radar, Sonar, Humvee, ZIP code, laser and such.

As I read your comment I am reminded of the enlisted guy who was a typist in Saving Private Ryan. Everyone told him that FUBAR was a German word. I honestly had no idea that SNAFU was an acronym until Ted Koppel mentioned it on a Nightline broadcast.

Add TARFU to that

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
“Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn’t we keep the PC on the QT? ‘Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we’d all be put on KP.”

– Robin Williams playing Adrian Cronauer, Good Morning Vietnam

Why would he end up in Miami?

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
And while we're on the subject, can we use common names for airports instead of the three letter designation?

I mean, I get that it makes you sound all cool and pilot-y and shit, but I have no fucking idea where KCO (or whatever) is, and it might just have some bearing on the post, ya know?

IKR? The thread asking about things to do in FRA is a good example. I guessed it was an airport code, then surmised it was Frankfort, so I clicked on the thread thinking I'd find some good information about Frankfort, KY. Nope. I'm not a world traveller.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And this one was a PITA for me:
S elective
T raffic
E nforcement
P rogram
And the local dope unit:
U pper
P eninsula
S ubstance
E nforcement
T eam

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to know what EIEIO stood for in that song about the farm.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It is the sound they make when getting blown through the air. Like this:

Old MacDonald had a farm. EIEIO.
And on his farm he had some landmines. EIEIO!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And this one was a PITA for me:
S elective
T raffic
E nforcement
P rogram

Risking thread drift, I have to say I've wondered about that one. I've seen red stickers on local cruisers, saying "Selective traffic enforcement program." The semantics nerd in me wonders what's selective about that? Today it's red cars, tomorrow it's Ford products, next day it's guys in suits? My momentary snideness aside, what is "selective" about the program?

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

First thing I thought of when reading this thread. Hilarious movie.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post