SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Overuse of Acronyms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overuse of Acronyms Login/Join 
posted
I find it mildly irritating to look up various acronyms that are not in common use. Not everyone is a physician, teenager or former military commander. Internet and text language are one thing, constant use of acronyms is just lazy communication.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Agree!

If one is making a post or it’s in another context, the purpose is presumably to communicate, so why deliberately obscure meanings?

I always think of two explanations: The users have little ability to see things from others’ perspectives, and therefore are less bright than they believe they are, or they believe that it makes them seem as if they have privileged, arcane knowledge and if the rest of us don’t know what they’re talking about it’s our fault, not theirs.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
During my years as an engineer, I always made it a practice to spell out in full any term that I later used as an acronym, e.g. Cummings Custom Refinishing (CCR).

Many here on SIGforum are guilty of abusing acronyms. It's like you're not one of the cool guys if you can't speak the code.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well IAW the MOA with COMNAVWIFEPAC, I'm not allowed to use them here either. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
IKR? TWSS. GL.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Just consulted SWMBO about this, and she told me to STFU.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Agreed. It is just showing off or cluelessness.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
IT people are the worst.

If you don't fix my calendar subscriptions I'll DHCP into your DNS with a BFH and give you a KITA you POS.

Joking, our IT guy is cool...

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some acronyms provide better communication of meaning than the words of which they are made.

Radar, Sonar, Humvee, ZIP code, laser and such.

And sometimes acronyms are well known in certain groups that they have become as familiar to the people in the conversation as the above examples to general dialog.

It is not always snobbery and self absorbed causation.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
OMG. LOL. BTDT. FML.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some acronyms provide better communication of meaning than the words of which they are made.

Radar, Sonar, Humvee, ZIP code, laser and such.

As I read your comment I am reminded of the enlisted guy who was a typist in Saving Private Ryan. Everyone told him that FUBAR was a German word. I honestly had no idea that SNAFU was an acronym until Ted Koppel mentioned it on a Nightline broadcast.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

The issue is knowing which is which and using them appropriately.

There are countless acronyms and abbreviations, such as the ones you mention, that are known to virtually all Americans. This thread is about the use of those that are not.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I don't find it annoying. Really. I find it a fun challenge for me to look things up and learn something new.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The military seems pretty good at coming up with acronyms that are pronounceable. Sometimes it seems they stretch a bit just to achieve that.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Over and over again I ask --> could we have a stickied thread in which the acronyms are listed and explained? Maybe even alphabetized? Great gosh, that would help so many of us!

That said, member Bisleyblackhawk posted a link earlier that looks like a great resource: Here it is.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
And while we're on the subject, can we use common names for airports instead of the three letter designation?

I mean, I get that it makes you sound all cool and pilot-y and shit, but I have no fucking idea where KCO (or whatever) is, and it might just have some bearing on the post, ya know?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 Unintentionally Hilarious Military Acronyms Such as PMS

LINK with pics: https://www.military.com/daily...litary-acronyms.html

posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean, I get that it makes you sound all cool and pilot-y and shit, but I have no fucking idea where KCO (or whatever) is, and it might just have some bearing on the post, ya know?

Seems that was a recent THREAD title. My snarky comment in the thread was ignored.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
“Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn’t we keep the PC on the QT? ‘Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we’d all be put on KP.”

– Robin Williams playing Adrian Cronauer, Good Morning Vietnam

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post