SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ants....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ants.... Login/Join 
posted
..the real small ones found in the kitchen. I got about a zillion of them. Little bastards got into a sealed box of Triscots and sealed bag of Potato Chips that were high up on the Frig. I come home to see a line of ants crawling up the Frig.

The guy with the bug spray comes Tuesday, but meanwhile I had to throw out everything they got into, including Taco shells. They even got into the new Toaster.

Aaaaagh!

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
One part boric acid to about 6 parts sugar, add warm water to make a slurry, pour into old jar lid(s). Set it around the ants and watch them feed, HAhahahaha

If not sugar ants, add the boric acid (sometime labelled "Roach Powder")to some grease.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We call the real little ones pissants. We've been lucky so far since moving here in 2002. No ants in the house, yet. However, we did wake up one morning to no water. Turned out the pissants had completely clogged up our well's pressure switch box that is above ground. There was some condensation inside, which is apparently what drew them in. When we took the lid off the switch, you could not even see the switch. It was a solid mass of pissants, and the contacts could not close. The ones outside sure to love any water source.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Have you got a bush or plant in contact with any of your windows?
That situation can be an ant highway.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henryaz is right on about water attracting them. I find them in my kitchen sink from time to time.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A bead of coffee grounds they will not cross. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I set out a dog bowl full of water for the ants. Never get them inside anymore.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2838 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

You also learn quickly, here in AZ at least, not to stick out an arm an lean against a tree. Look closely and there is almost always an army line of pissants going up and down the major branches. I guess they garner moisture from what passes for leaves out here.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
get terro, 1 dose and they will all be dead

nothing on the planet works as well as terro

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I had this issue in my townhouse, they were entering via the window over kitchen sink. I've since replaced windows, which helped, but I also found a good ant/bug spray at Ace hardware and I spray perimeter of the windows. This has cut back tremendously on those little fuckers forming a marching band across my counters.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Buy cotton balls, sugar, and borax. Mix equal parts of borax and sugar. Dilute in as little water as possible Soak the cotton balls and place in the affected area. They will be gone in a couple days.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I buy the granulated stuff for the yard. Not for ants and other insects, but poisonous spiders and scorpions. But it doesn't kill spiders and scorpions.

Nope.

But it kills everything they eat. No food left for predators, they may wander in, but after a few days of being hungry, they move on.

I spread about a 32 oz cup in front and one on back, creating about a 3 foot strip around the house. Do it about every three months.

Had those little ants twice. Started the regimen and I never see bugs in the house. No spiders, no scorpions.

About $10 for a bag that lasts me about 2 years.

An acquaintance calls a pest service, Terminex or something. Pays about $200 every 3-6 months.

You go there, Skippy.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I had this issue in my townhouse, they were entering via the window over kitchen sink. I've since replaced windows, which helped, but I also found a good ant/bug spray at Ace hardware and I spray perimeter of the windows. This has cut back tremendously on those little fuckers forming a marching band across my counters.

They had formed a tight line up the side of my Frig. Looked like the line outside our Golden Corral on a Friday night. It seems the little bastards are well organized.

For two days, every few hours one will come out to look for food then scoot back into hiding to tell others I guess.

Bug sprayer (free) comes tomorrow.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last summer my kitchen was just fulfilled with those sugar ants... Those little bastards are not dangerous but so annoying! I washed all the floor and the sink with a mixture of water and vinegar. It was helpful at first but later ants appeared again so I had to buy some stronger insecticides. Here are some solutions I've found while resolving this problem. Hope it will come in handy.

Posts: 4 | Registered: February 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Wife put out some cinnamon sticks and we haven’t had ants since.

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Before you kill them off try to identify what route they are using to get inside and fix it.

Then focus on killing them outside.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
get terro, 1 dose and they will all be dead

nothing on the planet works as well as terro

Agree 100% with Terro. We get the ants here indoors in South Florida especially in the winters. When I've had enough of them I put out the Terro. I almost feel sorry for the little bast#rds it knocks them out with such efficiency.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the memories. Lawd, we hate them.

Last time they made their way in was circa 2006 just after my aunt had died and I was leaving about 0500 to run bunch of family from AL to OH for service. That's the PERFECT time to find your large cupboard overrun with these little buggers, all up in literally everything.

Wife wasn't going already, so just walked away from that one but she was none to amused. I did offer to trade tasks....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12407 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Additionally...it's the "red ants" here in Florida you have to watch out for, they're much harder to kill! Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I greatly admire ants. I also kill ants when they become a nuisance inside or out.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post