SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Locked my keys in the truck at lunch today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locked my keys in the truck at lunch today Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I worked with a girl who had a penchant for locking her keys in her car. The first cycle she was hysterical. But the local PD provides a nice service. Then the second cycle, when I called their station, the guy on the phone started laughing and said "Paula again?" But in all fairness, she was a babe.

So along comes the 3rd time. Maybe 100 people at that site, and she'd done it 3 times. No one else was that scatter brained. So we had a meeting. My suggestion was she loan me her car key for about 15 minutes. So I could go down to the nearest key place and make a copy. I cheated and made 2. We put one of the copies in her desk drawer.

I guess the embarrassment was to much and she really tried for the next year. Then fate and scatterbrain collided and when she went to look for her spare key, it was gone. But I had the 2nd backup copy in my desk. I handed it to her when she came into my office crying. About half the office accused me of stealing her copy. But then she found it in her purse. No idea why she moved it or forgot she'd done it.

But remember, she was a babe. All is forgotten when a girl is pretty and has great legs.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I used to work as a locksmith, and some people acted like we were evil rip-off artists for charging $10 to get them into their vehicles. We barely made a profit because the tools were so expensive and became outdated quickly. The tools were proprietary and required different methods for different vehicles. I've noticed that these days many of them use a blood pressure cuff type gadget which slips between the door and the frame and works on pretty much everything. A wire coat hanger bent correctly will still get you into trucks with triangle wing windows.

It also used to be cheap and easy to keep a spare key hidden under your vehicle with a shower curtain ring, but now most keys are chipped and can't just be copied.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I cannot believe it. A little while ago, I backed into the garage, got out and locked my keys in the car!

Gonna cost me $50...

Be glad you didn't lock yourself out in the rain with the top down. It'd be a shame for that upholstery to be ruined.

I locked myself out once. Walked a couple of blocks to a tow truck garage. Drove me back and opened it for $25.

I've had AAA in the intervening years up to now but never needed the unlock feature myself. Couple of dead batteries, flat tires, and just plain dead engines, and no gas. But no lock outs.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
My cars won’t allow you to. I’ve locked myself out of my apt a time or two though Roll Eyes

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

next purchase will be a locking compartment for the back storage area.
Good. Then you'll have a place to lock your keys.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I used to work as a locksmith, and some people acted like we were evil rip-off artists for charging $10 to get them into their vehicles. We barely made a profit because the tools were so expensive and became outdated quickly. The tools were proprietary and required different methods for different vehicles. I've noticed that these days many of them use a blood pressure cuff type gadget which slips between the door and the frame and works on pretty much everything. A wire coat hanger bent correctly will still get you into trucks with triangle wing windows.

It also used to be cheap and easy to keep a spare key hidden under your vehicle with a shower curtain ring, but now most keys are chipped and can't just be copied.

The pop-a-lock guy used two of the blood pressure type bags you mentioned on the door to make room for his door unlocker gadget. Door looks fine and kept the rain out afterwards, so all is well.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Local cops used to do it for free. But for liability reasons and with complaints from local tow companies and locksmiths about them losing that business they dropped the service.

When I started commuting 100 miles a day I just got AAA and still keep it now. Used it once for lockout, two times for a break down and once for a wreck when i hit a deer.

I figure I have about broke even or slightly in the red for the cost vs services used but it sure is handy, especially with the phone app. You don't even have to tell them where you are, they know by the GPS.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
but now most keys are chipped and can't just be copied.

The cuts can be copied but not the chip. My cars will open with the key, but not start. They also trigger the alarm system. But all you really want is to get inside and take your keys off the seat or out of your ignition.

My 1990 chevy didn't require a chipped key. I found a place one time that offered you a credit card size key for your brand of car. It was a cheap plastic but worked. You just stored it in your billfold like another credit card. I gave it up when I traded the truck off.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When I was young and foolish, working at a title company at the recorder’s office, I parked downtown in a huge city lot. Ome day, I locked my keys in the car. #@.%$&. The county office was closed, pre cell phones, so I found a pay phone called my thrn wife to come bring a spare key.

The lot had to be cleared by a certain time, so I then went to the lot attendant to let him know. This hispanic kid went over to my car and had the door open in about 30 seconds.

I don’t know why we locked cars back then. This kid could get in to any of them any time he wanted, and so could his buddies.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Be thankful you didn't put the only key you had in the pocket of your swimsuit and it's now in the Atlantic Ocean. Also that you didn't have to rent a car and drive four hours across the state to fetch the spare key that you left at home thinking you've never lost a key in your life so it wasn't worth the time to go grab it because you were in a rush to get going. The drive back was five hours because of traffic and the torrential down pour. Fun times on my kids' Spring Break a few weeks ago.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Be thankful you didn't put the only key you had in the pocket of your swimsuit and it's now in the Atlantic Ocean. Also that you didn't have to rent a car and drive four hours across the state to fetch the spare key that you left at home thinking you've never lost a key in your life so it wasn't worth the time to go grab it because you were in a rush to get going. The drive back was five hours because of traffic and the torrential down pour. Fun times on my kids' Spring Break a few weeks ago.

Ouch ! That is a horrible story.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I locked my only key to my mercedes in the trunk once. Turns out that while it's pretty easy to get into the cabin area, the trunk is impossible without dealer software and even then they can't guarantee they can open it.

Cost me $150 to have a guy from the dealer meet me 30 min away. Took him about 20 seconds to open the cabin and about 15 minutes to get the trunk open with his computer. That $300 spare key didn't sound like such a bad idea after that.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Did that once, in a field in Lebanon, TN while camping. $350 from the only mobile locksmith I called that would come out on a Sunday later, I now have a key that has no fob or microchip, so I cant use it to start my car, but I can unlock my car with it should I, say, drop my key in the trunk of my locked car again. I keep it and a house key in a pocket of my wallet.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
also used to be cheap and easy to keep a spare key hidden under your vehicle with a shower curtain ring, but now most keys are chipped and can't just be copied.

I still copy the chip key for under the car. The cheap copy Wont start the car but it opens the doors so i can get my keys back.

My worst one was going on our honeymoon cruise to Mexico. We got back to the Salt Lake airport and realized id left our keys on the cruise ship.... The toyota dealership cut us one for free from the VIN (my car didnt require a chip) but that was a disasterous learning experience. Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
This is why I love my push button start on my Tacoma; no key to lock in. The truck won't let me lock the fob in the truck, either.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Where are you guys getting keys copied? I tried a couple different places and they both said no.

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I would ask a dealership where they recommend taking it. Most of the time they don't do that stuff in house, and have a good working relationship with at least one locksmith.

Failing that I'd look up locksmiths who specialize in automotive locks.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I have some old tie clips with a part that slides out and can be cut to match a car key. Pretty clever, but do men still wear tie clips? These are from the 50s.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I copy my car keys at Walmart. Bought the chip-key blanks from Ebay and cut them at Walmart. Havent gotten them programmed yet though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are you guys getting keys copied? I tried a couple different places and they both said no.
Most of the Ace Hardware stores around here do "smart keys."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post