SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Locked my keys in the truck at lunch today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locked my keys in the truck at lunch today Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
$50 bucks well spent at pop-a-lock. That dude was there in 13 minutes and he popped it open in about 90 seconds.

Seems like it might be a profitable business if you don't have too much competition.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I locked myself out of my car many years ago. Since then, I’ve always carried two sets of car & house keys.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I locked myself out of my car many years ago. Since then, I’ve always carried two sets of car & house keys.

Did this for many years, but the new vehicles both have only fobs.

The Chevy has an integrated flip-out key and the Jeep has an emergency key you can release from the fob. So if I lock myself out again, I'm kinda screwed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
If you have OnStar they can remotely open your car FYI

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Notebooks and phones have fingerprint readers. Insufficient for cars?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We were at the in laws last night and it was time to leave and I reach in my pocket no car key.
Has to be there somewhere as I drove there.
Can’t find it anywhere and am getting a bit frazzled. At the moment it is the only key I have. The dealer only had one and they have not gotten the 2nd for me yet. Also I don’t have the factory code for the numeric keypad on the door (I love Fords number pads). I am waiting for my ODBII dongle so I can pull the code. The code is on a sticker on the PCM and I just don’t feel like pulled my interior panels to get to it since in a few days I’ll be able to read it on the laptop.
I am checking everywhere in the house nothing. Don’t see the key in the vehicle.

Then for some reason to dawned on me to check my holster as I slide my gun in my right front pocket when I go to the bathroom.
Sure enough the key had wedged between the slide and leather there it was just dangling on my hip. How I did not notice it when I put my holster back in it’s proper place I have no idea.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Anybody who has never done this, raise your hand.

I don't see many hands.

One of the reasons I really like my Ford!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm out past cell phone coverage in the deep woods all the time. It would be fatal to get back at the end of day exhausted, perhaps in the cold and rain and be locked out. So I've duct taped a spare key underneath to the frame.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I keep a spare in my wallet. Of course I haven't locked myself out since I stated doing this. Still handy to hand just a truck key to a mechanic or tire guy.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife called me in a panic, said she locked the keys in the Mazda. I reminded her the manual states the vehicle will not lock you out due to proximity key feature. Shocked,she opened the door and said "thanks!"

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my Sienna I have remote start which can be started from my cellphone. It also allows the doors to be locked or unlocked via cellphone.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody who has never done this, raise your hand.

No, I can't say I haven't either. I did it early last winter, and it was 25° outside. But at least I didn't lock my cell phone up. I called GEICO and used the road service that I have on my policy.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've locked myself out of my personal car once and my police car numerous times. Thankfully we're now doing fleet keys and neighboring PDs can unlock my car if I'm in their city.

My current Subaru has a PIN code thing with the trunk button which unlocks all doors if I lock my keys in the car which is great. I don't use it since I never take the key out of my pocket.

It's great for beach days though, I can toss the keys in the trunk and lock the car up.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I once locked my keys in the trunk of my mustang convertible, with the top down! (I was fishing and dropped the keys when I put away my tackle box)

AAA guy shows up, acting all cocky. Says "there's a button in the glove box, that'll pop the trunk".
I offer a hundred dollar wager on the button not working without the key in the ignition. He hit the button without accepting my wager, and sad I expected, nothing happened.

He popped the trunk lock without saying a word. I then put my key in the ignition and showed the button works only with the key in (anti theft measure).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I was shooting sporting clays and put the car keys in a vest pocket. After shooting I put the vest with the keys in the trunk. Doh! Fortunately I had also been forgetful of locking the cab. Using a coat hanger and going through the fold-down in the middle of the backseat I was able to snag the vest. In truth, I am well-practiced at doing stupid stuff like that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

I cannot believe it. A little while ago, I backed into the garage, got out and locked my keys in the car!

Gonna cost me $50...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I like my little keypad on the Ford.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3599 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I like my little keypad on the Ford.

Ha! That was what I was gonna say...buy a Ford!! Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I tried to find a keypad like my F-150's when I bought my Silverado, but alas, they're all butt ugly designs or don't work so well.

Did have the keypad fail me once, when the battery was dead...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've locked my work keys in a car several times.

One day I locked my key, my spare key I kept on me, and the spare key I got from my sergeant, ALL at the same time in the car in a series of three mistakes. Had to call a wreck to come jimmy the door. I did not live that one down for a while.

I like this about my Jeep...no need to lock the doors with a soft top! I just put side steps on, next purchase will be a locking compartment for the back storage area.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post