SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Interstate rest stop signs that do not say "Next rest stop xx miles"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interstate rest stop signs that do not say "Next rest stop xx miles" Login/Join 
posted
Just drove I-81 from Syracuse NY to Hagerstown MD and I do not recall seeing any such signs in PA. I did drive by one that said "Rest stop closed," it would have been helpful to know how far to the next open stop.

Most (many?) interstates do this, the NYS Thruway east of Syracuse has LOTS of stops with great signage.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, common sense tells you it's going to be a while. How bad do you have to pee ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
They are only at state lines in the skinny states !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trucker bombs!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
If you ever drive through Utah you will see signs saying "no nothing for 132 miles". We almost missed one.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Just drove I-81 from Syracuse NY to Hagerstown MD...

Once you get past Binghamton, that is the worst stretch of interstate highway in the nation.

I've heard that the reason is the mob basically runs the highway dept in PA and keeping that stretch of I-81 in disrepair is a cash-cow and job security. Can't speak to the veracity of that claim, but I wouldn't doubt it. Between potholes, lousy rest areas, and lousy signage, I'd rather take a two-laner through PA than drive I-81.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It depends on the Interstate. When we travel On I-91, there are a few in Vermont and none in MA. I guess they don't have them as there are a lot of exits. I prefer to stop at rest stops on the interstate rather than get off an exit with a trailer and find out that the gas station or food are another 2.5 miles down a traffic light filled road.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Just drove I-81 from Syracuse NY to Hagerstown MD...

Once you get past Binghamton, that is the worst stretch of interstate highway in the nation.

I've heard that the reason is the mob basically runs the highway dept in PA and keeping that stretch of I-81 in disrepair is a cash-cow and job security. Can't speak to the veracity of that claim, but I wouldn't doubt it. Between potholes, lousy rest areas, and lousy signage, I'd rather take a two-laner through PA than drive I-81.

I-80 thru Pennsylvania isn't much better.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
If you ever drive through Utah you will see signs saying "no nothing for 132 miles". We almost missed one.

I remember that driving from L.A. to Chicago a few years ago. That was a desolate stretch.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Last year when driving from Fla to NJ, the GPS said "stay on I-95 for 592 miles". We laughed at that, it was actually about another 1,000 miles to get home.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did you see that they are close to closing a third of the rest stops in Iowa , to save money .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
did you see that they are close to closing a third of the rest stops in Iowa , to save money .

Interesting. Iowa home to the world's largest truck stop on I 80. I hear people actually plan trips to visit the truck stop. If those people from Illinois would stop vandalizing those rest stops things would be better.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on that...

There is an app for that. Shows where they are, in a list or on a map with the distance. I don't have my phone handy and don't remember the name of it. I also use one occasionally that shows the services available at each exit like food, gas, lodging etc.

They come in handy, sometimes, especially if the wife is driving so I am free to fiddle with them...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post