SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I can't find a decent TV for less than $1K
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can't find a decent TV for less than $1K Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Me being older than I'd like, I remember when $500 was a lot of money. I found a LG 4K TV at Costco for $480, alongside a Samsung for the same price. I thought "why not?" as my present plasma Samsung is not displaying things well.

The new LG TV would not display images that could be enjoyed. All "dark" images were monocolor washes of black and shadow, and in one case the entire screen was just unviewable. Yes, I tried all the settings. No luck. Back to Costco.

Sadly, I'll have to spend $1K and get a Sony 900 series. Someday.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I guess that is subjective. Both of my tv's were 400- 600 range and I am happy with both!!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Either you’re looking for a HUGE screen, you’re looking for cutting edge tech, or you’re doing it wrong.

You can get excellent sets for well under $1K these days in almost any size. I spent almost $1K for an excellent (near top of the line) 42”, 1080p Samsung over 8 years ago. Tech has improved and prices have dropped. I can get the same thing now w/ even better image quality for less than half that price today.

Where are you doing your research? If you’re just walking into a store (especially a big box) and buying what looks good to your eye on the shelf, you’re just going to keep being disappointed.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I agree it is subjective. But when SWMBO comes in and says "you can't even watch that!" as the people are esconced in a darkness that can't be penetrated, I realize how bad this TV was.

-------

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
As I see things, research is limited to what is available at the big box stores. For example, Costco sells Vizio, Samsung, and LG. Of those, I can read online all about the particular models they offer. I don't have freedom, so to speak, to generally research each and every model, then go and find it at Costco. Reading the reviews on the specific model of LG tv offered there, I was not dissuaded, but encouraged. However, the experience I had in home was not satisfactory.

-------

posted Hide Post
Either you got a bad TV or something is wrong with your house.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Either you got a bad TV or something is wrong with your house.

Or could be a problem with your TV feed ie: cable, satelite or antenna.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Cable feed is fine. The plasma TV shows images quite clearly, aside from the pink blob that occurs on these last Samsung devices.

I'm just going to save up for the Sony 900 series.

-------

posted Hide Post
We went through the same thing when our Panasonic plasma stopped working. Most big box store TVs were disappointing in comparison. Sony 900 series or an LG OLED B7 looked like the best alternative. Luckily, we found a local guy that repairs old plasma TVs and got ours fixed.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I have had two plasmas and I love them; however, it seems plasma was phased out some time ago. OLED seems to be the closest comparison but it's still an expensive technology. I won't buy a regular LED TV. My mother has one and everything looks fake.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i want to try an XLED Vizio 4k. depending on the size, they'll be around the $1k mark, though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnet.com/products/...-roku-tv/first-take/

Get one of these and you'll be happy. Make sure you get the higher quality version as they do make lesser quality models too.

Great picture, and cool "smart" features. I never knew what screen mirroring was, let alone had it on a tv, but use it all the time now to share pictures, or just put on kids videos for my son.

Also these TVs make cutting the cord easier as they have all of the features of the roku box.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I have had two plasmas and I love them; however, it seems plasma was phased out some time ago. OLED seems to be the closest comparison but it's still an expensive technology. I won't buy a regular LED TV. My mother has one and everything looks fake.

Same here, Plasma was the last of the good ones the only bad thing is they emit heat but I don't get that close any way.
OLED (LG) and Quantum Dot (Samsung) seem to be the prevailing best technologies out there now.
No cheap LED 4K or otherwise for me when I replace my Plasma.
Buy once, Cry once.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a Sony 65" a few months back for right at $1100. There were definitely sets in the 55" range for well under $1k.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Wirecutter says the best 4K TV on a budget is TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) at Amazon for $650.00. The 65-Inch model is exactly $1,000.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son and I both purchased a new Vizio 55" tv for 800$. This was a year ago and it is Vizio top of the line TV.
It was a tv from the year before, and the new line was out.

There are about 3 different levels of tvs. the model numbers and letters are what you need to pay attention to in order to compare them.
But heck we both have an incredible picture.
My son and I both used to only buy Sony tvs and we only bought their top of the line tvs too.

The last Sony I had was a disappointment, so I went with Vizio. This is the second one I have had and my sons first.
He still has his other two Sonys and they still work.
The big plus is these Vizios are made in the U.S.....well commiefornia.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Me being older than I'd like, I remember when $500 was a lot of money. I found a LG 4K TV at Costco for $480, alongside a Samsung for the same price. I thought "why not?" as my present plasma Samsung is not displaying things well.

The new LG TV would not display images that could be enjoyed. All "dark" images were monocolor washes of black and shadow, and in one case the entire screen was just unviewable. Yes, I tried all the settings. No luck. Back to Costco.

Sadly, I'll have to spend $1K and get a Sony 900 series. Someday.

You want a Samsung. You didn't say what size you're looking at, but you can find what you're looking for in under 55" for less than $1000 and a good tv, but Samsungs have the most vivid and bright screens from what I've seen. The LG's always appear dark to me.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I just bought two Samsung 4k tv's and have been very happy with them.
One is a 50", the other a 58". On some older programming it jutters a bit, but the newer shows are as smooth as can be.
Darks and lights play well, way better than they did on my previous Sony.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The 8000 series from Samsung is one of the better values out now. To get must better you have to get into new tech at a much higher price. Sony always seems more washed to me. Manual settings do require adjustment, not just preset. I always adjust the setting to remove the soap opera effect too since it drives me crazy.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was your age we watched a 27 inch black and white with three channels,
in the middle of a snow storm walking 4 miles to school,
in a grass skirt while picking cotton in 90 degree heat and 90 % humidity, with nothing to eat but oatmeal and Hi C orange "flavor" juice

and we liked it !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post