SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Selling a vehicle.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling a vehicle. Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
I know, i know. I and a few others complained lately of shopping for cars. But now that my wife and I are set on vehicles, I need to sell what I was driving.

I had a coworker who said he'd buy it, but is now giving me the run-around, wanting to make payments, says he can't spend that much all at once, yet constantly is buying new shit. Roll Eyes no.

I've talked to a couple other people, but since I don't drive it now and can't put a for sale sign in the window as advertising, I know I just need to post it online for sale. but i'm dreading the tire-kickers, and then all the fraudster calls and emails that come with that though...

where a month ago I was dreading and bemoaning it -
now I'd rather do the shopping again! Razz

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Take it to Carmax.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
never used Carmax. I'll look into it.

trade-in value is just half of what private sale is. I'm not expecting to get more than $2k out of my old beater, but it's better than the $500 - $1000 some dealerships offered in trade-in.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If it's an old beater, Carmax will probably not be a good venue. They paid well over NADA book value for a Lexus we got rid of some years back.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Don't let the tirekickers drive you crazy. It doesn't sound like you NEED to sell, so you have the freedom to tell those folks to shove off. Set a price you're comfortable with, and they can either put cash in your hand or move right along.

Also, for the "friend" that wants to buy it, if he's serious he can probably set up financing at his bank. If I want to finance a private party vehicle purchase, I can go to the bank and get a check that I can write for up to a predetermined amount. I then give that to the seller and they get their full asking price, and the payments are between me and the bank. That works for everybody, and is pretty much risk free for you the seller.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with Craiglist. I post lots of quality pictures and detail the car as best I can. In my ad, I note 'no trade - cash only'

I've generally sold the car to the first looker in under a week. I've usually had to come off my price by about $500.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I've had great luck with Craiglist. I post lots of quality pictures and detail the car as best I can. In my ad, I note 'no trade - cash only'

I've generally sold the car to the first looker in under a week. I've usually had to come off my price by about $500.

I too have had good luck with Craigslist. Just meet at the local police dept parking lot closest to you to show the car.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carmax just bought my '09 Tacoma last month, and paid me over blue book, and almost 4k over what a Toyota dealer offered me as a trade in.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Carmax came in 1-2k under NADA on my F150.
Alternatively, list it here?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth - I have sold my last two vehicles to "dealership" employees" for 85% of private sale value.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Never accept payments.

If there is one thing I have learned in life, it is that NO-ONE makes payments on a vehicle they are not driving.

Whether something mechanical goes wrong with it or they wreck it - you will never see a dime after that.

Another fun thing to think about is, who holds the title/registration during the payment scheme?

Far too many things to go against you.

I've seen some long term relationships go far south over a few thousand on a vehicle.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've sold lots of vehicles on Craigslist and never had a problem. I post lots of pics, a good description and always state "No Trades and Cash Only".

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Place an add on Craigslist or other online classifieds with lots of pictures and a detailed description of the vehicle. Make it plain in your add that lowball offers, requests to ship the vehicle, is the vehicle still available etc will not receive a response. This will help eliminate some but not all tire kickers. The cost of doing business is sifting through the idiots that just want to waste your time and finding serious buyers. Limit meeting location to your local police station during daylight hours. I've sold lots of stuff online and have just about always sold the item for the price I was asking but I was patient and could afford to wait for the right buyer. Good luck with the sale

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Don't let the tirekickers drive you crazy. It doesn't sound like you NEED to sell, so you have the freedom to tell those folks to shove off. Set a price you're comfortable with, and they can either put cash in your hand or move right along.

Also, for the "friend" that wants to buy it, if he's serious he can probably set up financing at his bank. If I want to finance a private party vehicle purchase, I can go to the bank and get a check that I can write for up to a predetermined amount. I then give that to the seller and they get their full asking price, and the payments are between me and the bank. That works for everybody, and is pretty much risk free for you the seller.

I agree. Don't let the lookers stress you. Just respond with the price. A little haggling is to be expected. Set the price 20% high, and back down a bit and everyone is happy. If they want to make payments or trade you for a Vitamix, tell them to pound sand.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Dude wants to make payments on a $2000 purchase and he’s always buying other shit? Don’t talk to him again. Set a price, money up front or GTFO.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I would never buy a vehicle from them, but 2x positive experience on the sell side with CarMax:

#1) It was a long-shot, but they did give me a Low ball offer on a 15 yr old Tacoma. took it to BMW dealer and they beat it by 100% in 2 seconds. That was probably equal to what I could have sold privately with zero hassle.

#2) When it was time to get rid of the BMW CarMax gave me ~$2k more than VW offered.

No fuss, no muss, in and out with cashiers check in hand in less than an hour. I also like the factor of taking trade out of the equasion when negotiating on the new ride.

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
never trade in a car to a dealer, you'll get murdered. Just sold a super clean 14 year old car yesterday to a friend. I put the word out to all my pals and he bought it for his teenage daughter. Had every service record since brand new, and kept the car as pristine as a 14 year old car with 89,000 miles can be. He paid fair price, exactly in between two prices listed on Kelly Blue Book. He brought a mechanic to look at it, and took it for a test ride. I just had it serviced and had a couple of minor things fixed. Car was detailed, full tank of gas, and fresh e check. No haggling on price, and the deal was done in an hour.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post