SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Threw out my back
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Threw out my back Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
Just my luck... not only am I sick this week but I was bending over to pick something up and when I stood up I struck my head which caused my muscles to tense up and I got an immediate sharp pain in the middle of my lower back. I had to stand there for a few seconds until I was able to compose myself and get my legs moving again. Stopped by the Chiro down the street and he said it was all muscle not a disk thank god.

This was Wednesday and I'm still laid up in bed. The pain subsides when in bed but when I get up I can't walk more than probably 100-200' before the pain becomes all but debilitating again. I've been using ice and advil and all of the recommended stuff. Hopefully it will subside before I have to work another 24 on Sunday. I already had to take today off.

Oh, and since I'm sick every time I cough or sneeze my lower back tenses up. Lovely.

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. I've had it happen once and it was no fun.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Best wishes that you heal quickly.

My best friend and were recently lamenting over the fact that we've finally reached the age where a good sneeze means the risk of throwing our backs out. Big Grin

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife showed me This Amazing Trick! Wink

Use some sort of low platform, or staircase, etc.

Be sure that you have something to hold on to, to reinforce your balance so that you don't fall.

Stand with your toes and front part of your feet on the platform or stair with your heels hanging out unsupported. Your weight is on the front portion of your feets. Slowly, gently, lower your heels as far as you comfortably can. Don't over do it!

Stay in that position for ten or fifteen seconds. This stretches out the muscles in your lower back. Be gentle, don't try to do it all at once.

Rest a bit, then repeat.

This works wonderfully for both my wife and for me, whenever we get "clinched" lower back muscles.

My wife has an inversion table that basically does a similar thing, using body weight to stretch these muscles. She doesn't use it any more, the heel hanging down form a stair stretching exercise does just about the same thing and is simpler, works fine for us.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My doc had me on an obnoxious regimen of core exercises for yes, "all but debilitating" back pain. Little if any help, very short lived relief at best.

I took a chance on the Lo Bak TRAX and it's worked better than expected. Not a cure but it really helps when things are particularly bad. I'll do a set of 6-8 30" reps. Easy to use without undue effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Lo-Bak-...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about buying an inversion table but I will try what V-Tail suggests. It might work.

ryan, I also use icyhot all the time.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
I've been thinking about buying an inversion table but I will try what V-Tail suggests.
My wife has not used hers for a few years. I'll make you a good deal on it, but you'll have to come pick it up, I'm not gonna go through the hassle of shipping. Unless you want to pay The UPS Store's outrageous price for packing and shipping.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
See if you can get your hands on a TENS unit. They're magic.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a good experienced message therapist.
Mine does wonders for me.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
See if you can get your hands on a TENS unit. They're magic.

Yes. But do not overuse it.

I did the ol' "If a little bit's good, and more is better, then too much oughta be about right."

Wrong....

Resulted in "relaxing" to a point of weakening surrounding muscles and led to more problems, so I found some proper stretching and strength building routines and got it right.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coincidence. I jarred mine pretty good on Wednesday, too, but not as bad as you. The worst part is the noise...

I was going to jump down from a height of about 3', and the wife told me not to do that. Now I keep hearing this repetitive, "I told you not to do that!" Guess I'm not young anymore.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'm able to walk normal again without pain thankfully and I'm back to work for a 24 today.

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post