SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Comments for online recipes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comments for online recipes Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Not too much of a bitch I suppose, but it rather irritates me when people add their tweaks to online recipes in the comments section and then rate the recipe. More often than not, the tweaks completely change the recipe and then they'll rate it anyway.

Hey moron, with your additions/subtractions/substitutions, it's not the same recipe anymore!

Sheesh people. Roll Eyes

As an example, I was looking for a good bread and butter pickle recipe as my cucumbers are going crazy. So, I find this recipe that has over 100 5-star reviews. I decided to give it a whirl.

The ingredients for the broth are pretty simple. Apple cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, and mustard seed.

Some dingbat writes in the comments section:

"I could not find any celery seed so substituted it with fennel seeds. Also added a red and a yellow pepper as my old recipe had. My vinegar was a mixture of grape vinegar, apple cider and some malt."

Congratulations, you have a whole new, and different, recipe!

Perhaps you should post it to an online recipe site and see if people will give you great comments as well. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I get what you are saying. I see a lot of negative reviews on products on sites like Amazon for reasons like it took a couple extra days to get or because the post office lost the item. None of those help when someone is trying to see how the product itself preforms.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave lady a copy of my London Broil marinade. "I tried it, wasn't very good"

"?"

"I used Worcestershire instead of Soy, granulated instead of brown sugar, orange peel instead of ginger".

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
She had steak from a dairy cow! Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I gave lady a copy of my London Broil marinade. "I tried it, wasn't very good"

"?"

"I used Worcestershire instead of Soy, granulated instead of brown sugar, orange peel instead of ginger".

Can you share your original?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'd love to see the marinade recipe too.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not come across any alteration comments yet.

My wife sends these recipes that are attached to these blogs. There are usually 5 paragraphs of jibber jabber before it gets to the recipe.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I get what you are saying. I see a lot of negative reviews on products on sites like Amazon for reasons like it took a couple extra days to get or because the post office lost the item. None of those help when someone is trying to see how the product itself preforms.

Those get me, too. There's even a way to comment on shipping issues, but people don't take the time to do that. It wouldn't be so bad except that they affect the actual rating of the product.

Substitutions to recipes reminds me of this fun tv segment:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQAauVu2sTg

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Loved that clip!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post