SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Entitlement mentality of grown children...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entitlement mentality of grown children... Login/Join 
Picture of goingbroke
posted
...as I can't seem to grasp their thinking someone owes them something!

My wife worked with a local sheriff's department and then went on the work with the USPS where she often worked fifty, sixty, and seventy hours a week as a Rural Carrier Supervisor before she retired.

I had always worked jobs where it was the norm to work the same long hours, weekends, holidays, and nights. I was a Patrol Sergeant with a good department and left to run my towing service full time. The hours are still more demanding but I can take days off now as I like.

It took us a long time to build what we have.

These kids today have no problem thinking they can come into your office, pickup what they want, get what they want, or come into your house, or ramble around your place as if they still live there WITHOUT some shit being said!

I just don't get their thinking!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
By "these kids" are we talking someone's own children, or randomly hired young workers? The first few items make it sound like the former, the last few, the latter. In point of fact, it could be both, in different situations.

I only ask, but in the separate situation, the cause and reaction would be different.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Entitlement? When I graduated high school I got a pen and pencil set- Don't forget to write.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear ya.
Before my wife's dad died, her sister and niece would go over to dad's house and look thru all the drawers and closets and they would document his antiques, so they could go price them out.
When started to lose his memory, they just started taking things. They just thought they were owed it somehow?

It made my wife sick they way they treated and robbed a sick old man. The preyed upon the sick and old. My wife tried to get it stopped but could not. They eventually took everything he had. He died just in time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
I mean my own and others!

Like previous posters said...

You have the kids that ramble through "stuff" hunting "paperwork" like wills and such to see who is getting what...

Then you got "demanders" wanting their part right now...

It just seems never ending...

Some go to school for worthless degrees...

Some just lay on their asses...

Some hope to ride their folks checkbooks...

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
To give credit where it is due, they are not all like that.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My GF sisters husband (82 years old) is a retired Wall Street Broker. He has a couple of kids who won't talk to him, simply because he won't give them any more money, after they squander what ever cash he gave them.

He doesn't seem to care. He has willed all of his estate to his wife.

I was told that his kids found that out and boy are they pissed.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has migrated a lot of "stuff" from her mom's house to ours since her dad passed a few months ago for no other reason than to protect it from getting grabbed by her entitled sister and nephew who seem tho thing they deserve everything not nailed down.

And yes, same sister that almost lost her house to foreclosure because she is a dumb ass

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
To give credit where it is due, they are not all like that.

No, they are not, and they are to be commended!

Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
My GF sisters husband (82 years old) is a retired Wall Street Broker. He has a couple of kids who won't talk to him, simply because he won't give them any more money, after they squander what ever cash he gave them.

He doesn't seem to care. He has willed all of his estate to his wife.

It is amazing how children will act after they are supposed to be grown and on their own!

We changed our stuff around last year in case I got splattered on side of the road...

I was told that his kids found that out and boy are they pissed.

posted Hide Post
We have 4 kids, 3 are really good kids and have made their own way.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My mom won’t stop worrying about what’s fair to my sister and I regarding who gets what. I keep telling her to do whatever it takes to keep as much out of the hands of government as possible. Neither of us are keeping spreadsheets of what everything is worth. If I get something great, if not I’ll live. I’d rather she enjoyed what my dad built up before he died than pinch pennies to leave something for us. One of my wife’s aunts was like the kids in the OP. Woman cared so much about her father until she’d bled him dry then *POOF* vanished.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Entitlement? When I graduated high school I got a pen and pencil set- Don't forget to write.

I got a suitcase. Didn't really need it because three days after graduating I went to San Diego for boot camp.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If the grown up kids are exhibiting some undesirable actions, I would ask the parents to look in the mirror to look at potential contributing factors.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I expect nothing from my parents. My mother doesn’t have a lot, but what she does have is hers, free and clear, and is unique. But I don’t worry about it.

My father is very well off. His worth is in the millions. But I left home at 14 to pursue a different life. We reconciled later, but he has 4 sons from his second marriage who all stayed on the farm. I don’t worry about that, either.

As Frank said, I did it my way. I built my life with no handout. I wouldn’t want it any other way. There are a handful of heirlooms, mostly antique furniture and quilts through several generations, that I have procured from my and the wife’s families, just because we’re the only kids that value them.

On another note, I did that working 70-80 hours a week bullshit from when I was 20 until I was 32. I remember a 96 hour work week. Fuck that bullshit. Never again will I put myself through anything like that. It took years off my life, I’m sure. I usually do 40-50 hours now, and make more than I did back then, with MUCH less stress.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Ummm who raised your kids? Wouldn’t that be your fault?

And if I read that wrong and you’re not talking about you’re then tell em. Tell em exactly what’s allowed and what isn’t. Fuck em if they don’t like it

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling the issue here is people looking at the kids of others, not liking what they see, and assigning blame.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If the grown up kids are exhibiting some undesirable actions, I would ask the parents to look in the mirror to look at potential contributing factors.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My two are good young men. They work, and don't expect to be supported any longer. They view work a little differently than us baby-boomers, but they are willing to do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

And if I read that wrong and you’re not talking about you’re then tell em. Tell em exactly what’s allowed and what isn’t. Fuck em if they don’t like it

...that is where it is at brother! Damn ingrate...

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Some truth to that but sometimes shitty people resist all quality upbringing. One Aunt and uncle were 4 of 5 on my cousins. The fifth one has been a lost cause for 30 years.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post